Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears stopped accepting American Express

tag
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Sears stopped accepting American Express

When to buy some things at sears and when I got to the register the employee told me that they where not accepting AMEX anymore!! 

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sears stopped accepting American Express

sounds like penny wise pound foulish to me... Granted they only have a small time left imo, they are dragging this out way to long sell craftman and disolve or something alone those lines

Message 2 of 27
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

They sold Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker a couple years ago I think...

Rebuild start: 5/15/19

Financial Institutions:
Wells Fargo | NFCU | Penfed
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Death by a 1000 papercuts method is the one they chose.  I think it's just the fact that those of us that grew up in the mega mall era dread the thought of going into one these days let alone if you have kids and wrangling them while dealing with a crowd would be a total PITA.  The flagship stores don't really have any appeal over just ordering it online from them as well.  Sears was basically the anchor equivelent of K-Mart with the addition of appliances and tools.  

Toys R Us is making a comeback though post BK... only 10K SQ FT stores though instead of the mega stores they had before.  That's more of a nostalgia kind of store than Sears.  

*shrug*  I just prefer to be anti social about shopping for things and sticking to a list online is easier than the ADD distractions of going B&M and walking around.

Message 4 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@PicoFico wrote:
They sold Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker a couple years ago I think...

Sears sold Craftsman to B&D in 2017...

...but that doesn't seem to be stopping Sears from using the "Craftsman" name: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sears-stanley-black/sears-is-sued-over-craftsman-brand-idUSKCN1QO...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somehow I think Amex will view this as a smaller loss than having lost CostCo.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Somehow I think Amex will view this as a smaller loss than having lost CostCo.

Costco was a partnership and exclusivity not just some retailer dropping their acceptance.

Message 7 of 27
iced
Valued Contributor

@Isacking97 wrote:

When to buy some things at sears and when I got to the register the employee told me that they where not accepting AMEX anymore!! 

Give it a few years. Sears won't be accepting Visa, MC, Discover, or cash either. It's a minor miracle they haven't joined Toys-R-Us in memoryland yet.

Message 8 of 27
redpat
Senior Contributor

The last time I remember being in a Sears was when my mother dragged me there for school clothing, I remember toughskins.

That should say something about their brand.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn’t even know that sears was still around. 🤔 so I guess the positive is that they still accept MC/Visa.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.