AMEX Credit Line re-allocatio - UPDATE from Amex

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Credit Line re-allocation question

@NRB525 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

What are the limits on each of your AMEX cards now?

What set of limits are you trying to get to?

Think I found out my Issue... My Ed limit was 26k my HHonors was 2k.. Was trying to move 4k from Ed to Hhonors to make it 6k.. Also have a simply cash at 19.7k.

Anyways appears I jumped the gun two days early if you see my prior post..  Wonder why they submitted it early when it is bound to be shot down..  I just didn't pay close enough attention apparently as I could of sworn I was past 13 months but appears a few days short..  Guessing it was the 13 statements that messed with my mind.

Ok, why not just 3x the Hhonors? Had that been denied earlier?

I figure I would get more bang for my buck moving some of my CL from my ED to HHonors and asking for a CLI on my ED or Simply Cash when I am eligable in another 20ish or so day and that way it would save me the 1-3x CLI for the ED or simplycash which already have a good CL and to just make it better if that makes any sense?  Although I think I am approaching my exposure limit with Amex and not even sure I will ask for a 1x-3x.. I might try to get my ED back up to 26k is all or 25k after moving a bit of the limit to hhonors once I do it correctly next time once it hits the 16th of monthly vs. jumping gun early :/

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

What are the limits on each of your AMEX cards now?

What set of limits are you trying to get to?

Think I found out my Issue... My Ed limit was 26k my HHonors was 2k.. Was trying to move 4k from Ed to Hhonors to make it 6k.. Also have a simply cash at 19.7k.

Anyways appears I jumped the gun two days early if you see my prior post..  Wonder why they submitted it early when it is bound to be shot down..  I just didn't pay close enough attention apparently as I could of sworn I was past 13 months but appears a few days short..  Guessing it was the 13 statements that messed with my mind.

Ok, why not just 3x the Hhonors? Had that been denied earlier?

I figure I would get more bang for my buck moving some of my CL from my ED to HHonors and asking for a CLI on my ED or Simply Cash when I am eligable in another 20ish or so day and that way it would save me the 1-3x CLI for the ED or simplycash which already have a good CL and to just make it better if that makes any sense?  Although I think I am approaching my exposure limit with Amex and not even sure I will ask for a 1x-3x.. I might try to get my ED back up to 26k is all or 25k after moving a bit of the limit to hhonors once I do it correctly next time once it hits the 16th of monthly vs. jumping gun early :/

Few things, I wouldnt worry about jumping the gun. I have done that a few times myself for other things, you just get a denial letter and then retry. I highly doubt they HP you.

As far as the other, now I am wondering...if you move credit limit, doesnt that reset the 6 month timer for CLIs?

What about dividing the limit evenly by 3, for 3 cards over 15k?

I would just do a 3x CLI on the simply cash, to 24,500, then move some limits around.

Or...maybe you could move limit to the hhonors, then 3x CLI that for the most CLI.  Something in my gut is telling me that this isnt possible without some time elapsing though. I dunno why!

Message 22 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldnt think it would reset the clock being credit line reallocation as reallocation and 1-3x CLI are two different things.  I will try again in 2-3 days and it should go through on the reallocation and about another 20ish days as stated if I want to try the 3x or lower on Amex, but as stated approx 47-48k exposure with them now, bound to get 4506-t with that request and not quite sure i would gain anything out of it by providing it to them.. Dunno some thinking to do about future CLI's since I alread have quite a bit with them.  as far as 15k on each card business cant be transferred to person and already at approx 20k on that 26k on ed and well 2k on hilton...  would like all them to be > 20k, but doubtul so figured I would get the hhonors to 6k and that leave ED > 20k and SimplyCash at 19.7 and decide what to do from there.. Makes the HHonors more useable 

Message 23 of 30
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I wanted to add a data point here. I was approved for the Amex Delta Gold with a 5k limit a couple of hours ago. I just found the link for the credit reallocation process a few minutes ago. I requested to move 5k from my Starwood Amex to the freshly opened Delta Amex, and it was instantly approved

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 24 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I wanted to add a data point here. I was approved for the Amex Delta Gold with a 5k limit a couple of hours ago. I just found the link for the credit reallocation process a few minutes ago. I requested to move 5k from my Starwood Amex to the freshly opened Delta Amex, and it was instantly approved

Nice guessing your Starwood is way over 13 months old?   I know the donor card has to be x age or over 13 months, but obviously the other account doesn't meaning the account you are transferring to probably depending on how long of relationship you have had with amex... common knowledge says 2 months, but probably exceptions to that rule.. When I re-request in on the 17th I will be using the link as well vs. individual as I found it after the fact.

Message 25 of 30
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I think I opened the Starwood around June 2014. I've held an Amex card since August of 2012

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 26 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Credit Line re-allocation question - UPDATE from Amex finally!

UPDATE 2/18/2016

So getting no where on this as I have tried the 16th when my account actually hit 13 months and today again and got in progress 7-10 message..  Long story short I thought it was 13 statements so my 13th statement cut on the 13th so tried on the 14th I believe for a Re-Allocation and went into in-progress leading to this thread..  Anyways after many call getting no where I finally hoped on chat today and she stated it was declined for trying to early and my other requests were declined as well even after the 13 months has been full-filled due to they have a rule even though it was to early to request it you must wait TWO MONTH prior to trying to re-allocate your credit line again kinda like a CLI (although this is 90 days) of a failure..  Although I tried before it was eligible I must wait 60 days before it will go through.. Not happy with Amex at all with regards to this, but I said it is what it is and the HHonors card will remain in the SD until it has a more useable limit..  She apologized.  IMO they shouldn't allow you to try prior to the "true" 13 months vs 13 statement months and hold that against you as their rules aren't to clear in this area.  Just for others that are interested as not many data points at all on this process.  

Message 27 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

UPDATE 2/18/2016

So getting no where on this as I have tried the 16th when my account actually hit 13 months and today again and got in progress 7-10 message..  Long story short I thought it was 13 statements so my 13th statement cut on the 13th so tried on the 14th I believe for a Re-Allocation and went into in-progress leading to this thread..  Anyways after many call getting no where I finally hoped on chat today and she stated it was declined for trying to early and my other requests were declined as well even after the 13 months has been full-filled due to they have a rule even though it was to early to request it you must wait TWO MONTH prior to trying to re-allocate your credit line again kinda like a CLI (although this is 90 days) of a failure..  Although I tried before it was eligible I must wait 60 days before it will go through.. Not happy with Amex at all with regards to this, but I said it is what it is and the HHonors card will remain in the SD until it has a more useable limit..  She apologized.  IMO they shouldn't allow you to try prior to the "true" 13 months vs 13 statement months and hold that against you as their rules aren't to clear in this area.  Just for others that are interested as not many data points at all on this process.  

interesting, and frustrating at the same time... Sorry CC.  I guess youll have to try again 60 days.  I would think at that point it would go thru fine. 

Message 28 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

UPDATE 2/18/2016

interesting, and frustrating at the same time... Sorry CC.  I guess youll have to try again 60 days.  I would think at that point it would go thru fine. 

Ya frustrating is right.. They shouldn't of tried to let it go through early albeit my mistake if it wouldn't even be considered.  The rep should of stopped it right there.  Not much  information at all on credit line re-allocations published.  It is easy to get 13 statements and 13 months confused as well if you are savoy enough to even find out that information being normal joe consumer.  Anyways, hopefully others can learn from my mistake/experience

Message 29 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

UPDATE 2/18/2016

Ya frustrating is right.. They shouldn't of tried to let it go through early albeit my mistake if it wouldn't even be considered.  The rep should of stopped it right there.  Not much  information at all on credit line re-allocations published.  It is easy to get 13 statements and 13 months confused as well if you are savoy enough to even find out that information being normal joe consumer.  Anyways, hopefully others can learn from my mistake/experience

It was definitely good info to post, and Im sure others will appreciate itSmiley Wink

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.