Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Customer Service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Customer Service

@Anonymous wrote:

In the world of customer service for CC's Navy Federal is Chik Fil A, so AMEX must be relegated to McDonalds on a really bad day.

As I am fairly new to AMEX, perhaps I'm just spoiled, and not accustomed to the rudeness; is this normal for AMEX?

After getting nowhere with chat rep for ten minutes (they simply quoted script it seemed). and couldn't answer specific questions.

The 3rd world csr on the phone was even worse, attempting to interrupt and speak condescendingly to me until I cut him off and told him that he wasn't the only one 'recording the conversation for training purposes.'

So, question for all the long time AMEX customers: Is this normal behavior for AMEX, or did I just get lucky enough to communicate with two incompetant and rude csr's in one day?

What was your issue that you were having? 

Message 11 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In the world of customer service for CC's Navy Federal is Chik Fil A, so AMEX must be relegated to McDonalds on a really bad day.

As I am fairly new to AMEX, perhaps I'm just spoiled, and not accustomed to the rudeness; is this normal for AMEX?

After getting nowhere with chat rep for ten minutes (they simply quoted script it seemed). and couldn't answer specific questions.

The 3rd world csr on the phone was even worse, attempting to interrupt and speak condescendingly to me until I cut him off and told him that he wasn't the only one 'recording the conversation for training purposes.'

So, question for all the long time AMEX customers: Is this normal behavior for AMEX, or did I just get lucky enough to communicate with two incompetant and rude csr's in one day?

They are very incompetent. It still boils my blood whenever I think about the crap they put me through last March. Suffice to say, I probably won’t have an Amex for a long time. 

Message 12 of 68
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Since I don't have a Plat card, I get csrs from another land 90% of the time. I chuck it up as whatever and HUCA if needed. Amex cards to me are used and paid like my Cap1 and Synch cards.

I get much better service with Disco and Navy(outstanding when needed).
Message 13 of 68
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

The customer service at American Express is not as good as issuers for my other cards. I think this is due to so many mstakes on the company's part. I had so many occasions to phone cs for info/resolution on American Express errors. The frequent errors were so annoying that my two Amex cards are in the SD presently.

My experience was that if you want three different answers to the exact same question talk to three different reps. I wonder is there is a script for some of the issues? 

I've only encountered one rep who was consistently rude. My nick for her was the Punishment Lady, at home not when speaking with her. About four years ago a friend told me that the rewards on my MR card could be used to pay item(s) on a current statement. I called, was told that is correct and transferred to the rewards department. She was one of the rudest people I've ever dealt with on the phone. 

Punishment Lady was hard selling gift cards instead of using the reward to pay a statement item. She sounded as if I was asking for her firstborn. At one point she got loud I KNOW YOU GO TO HOME DEPO. I KNOW YOU DO HOME RENOVATIONS. She was pushing a HD gift card. It took a lot of time but the  reward was finally used to pay a statement item. 

I had remaining MR rewards. I called a few more times. She was consistently rude. She made the redemption a hassle unnecessarily. Once I phoned ad a very nice person aswered. Thought I called a wrong number. He did the redemption quickly and cheerfully. I really appreciated that so much. 

Whenever I talk to a phone rep at any company I try to be very courteous. Phone work can be very difficult. Customers may already be frustrated and sail into the voice on the other end of the call. I am carefull not to do that. My philosophy is that if the company is not treating me(revenue) well I would not like to be expense there.

Again, too many dumb mistakes at American Express for me. I'm on an indefinite break. The reps didn't cause this. American Express did. 

Message 14 of 68
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Disclaimer and preface : I have no experience with Amex customer service, cant make positive or negative claims. 

With that said, all these references to "third world reps" are insulting and disdainful.  If you cannot make a point without internet arrogance syndrome, maybe there really isn't a point to be made other than "5 min of my time gone".  Dont they know who I am!!!

A lot of members on this forum are from those countries and/or moved here from overseas. 

Message 15 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the problem that you run into with companies when they offer different classes of service for different customers. The expectation should be excellence across the board, not just excellence for specific cardholders. 

Even when you have customer service for specific types of cardholders, there will be times that they have to speak to a different department. Train all of your staff to treat all customers the same and you get a much happier customer base all the way around. 

I also do not have a problem with foreign customer service as long as there isn’t a language barrier. I run into the language barrier with Comcast a lot and it drives me up the wall (the outsourced agents are from Convergys and they are horrible) but Synchrony and Capital One seem to do a decent job there. There is nothing more infuriating about having an issue and having to explain yourself five times because the rep you are speaking with must have just started their ESL classes. 

Message 16 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the problem that you run into with companies when they offer different classes of service for different customers. The expectation should be excellence across the board, not just excellence for specific cardholders. 

Even when you have customer service for specific types of cardholders, there will be times that they have to speak to a different department. Train all of your staff to treat all customers the same and you get a much happier customer base all the way around. 

I also do not have a problem with foreign customer service as long as there isn’t a language barrier. I run into the language barrier with Comcast a lot and it drives me up the wall (the outsourced agents are from Convergys and they are horrible) but Synchrony and Capital One seem to do a decent job there. There is nothing more infuriating about having an issue and having to explain yourself five times because the rep you are speaking with must have just started their ESL classes. 

Importantly also, customers should be trained to treat CSRs with respect. You’ll get a lot further if you’re nice to them. They have zero desire to help people talking down to them or being rude, and I don’t blame them. 

Message 17 of 68
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

I am not in the higher groups. I am everyone else. But, I do have a total of 6 American Express card. I am a "Member Since 1982". I have always experienced nothing short of outstanding customer service from American Express. They and Discover offer the very best of customer service, in my experience. However, I am very pleased that I have opened a Checking, Savings and a Credit Card accounts recently with Navy Federal. I anticipate that they, too, will be excellent!

Message 18 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Importantly also, customers should be trained to treat CSRs with respect. You’ll get a lot further if you’re nice to them. They have zero desire to help people talking down to them or being rude, and I don’t blame them. 

I worked in customer service so I always try to be courteous and respectful but its their job to help customers regardless of how they are treated. If you don’t have a thick skin, customer service is not where you want to be. When I worked at Comcast, customers were allowed to cuss us out and we had to give three warnings before disconnecting them and we weren’t allowed to disconnect for any other reason unless we obviously lost the customer. I can count on one hand how many customers I used the disconnect policy on and I got cussed out multiple times a day for something someone else did. 

People get amped up about their TV, I bet they get very amped up when someone screws up with their credit card too. It isn’t the customer’s job to put up with poorly trained, overworked, and underpaid reps and tip toe around their feelings. Don’t make excuses for poor customer service and certainly don’t tolerate it. 

Message 19 of 68
NRB525
Super Contributor

I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.