Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Customer Service

tag
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Customer Service

I am sure reps rank customers and put bull's-eye on problem callers and enjoy denying them if they can legally do so.
However, one shouldn't tip toe when they have issues with a credit card, miles, or loss(due to a card company mishap).

If I have to endure stress consistantly with a credit card company, I will put them in my shredder and close. I could care less about status of Amex.
Message 21 of 68
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I had a gold card years ago and the service was outstanding. My understanding however is that quality is now reserved for the platinum holders. Since I've come back to Amex, I've had to call in twice. Both times the reps were rude and kept trying to give me answers to questions I never asked. Basically, they were responding to a question they've no doubt heard ad nauseum, as I could hear the "over it" in their voices. It wasn't until I made them shut up and actually listen to my questions that they realized their answers had nothing to do with my questions. 

As for online chat, I've used it once and it was much better, however they kept asking if that was all I needed if I paused in typing for more then 10 seconds. I felt rushed. Having worked in a call center, I know they have time limits, but it was annoying.

Message 22 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
I am sure reps rank customers and put bull's-eye on problem callers and enjoy denying them if they can legally do so.
However, one shouldn't tip toe when they have issues with a credit card, miles, or loss(due to a card company mishap).

If I have to endure stress consistantly with a credit card company, I will put them in my shredder and close. I could care less about status of Amex.

Oh trust me, we used to sit and gossip about specific problem customers in our downtime. We even left notes warning other CSRs of aggressive customers so they would see that note as soon as the account came up and be prepared. We still did our jobs though regardless but we were paid pretty well. Something tells me these Amex reps aren’t. 

Agreed on the stress though. Unlike the cable company, I have plenty of options to take my business to in the credit world. 

Message 23 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Blackswizz750 wrote:

Tip toe?  No. However, it’s not the CSRs fault whatever issue occurred that prompted your call. I’ve always kept this in mind no matter how frustrated I was. I also understand that I *want* the CSR to help me. Why would I be rude to someone I want to help me?  The second a CSR becomes disinterested in you, you’ll get the lowest level of service they can provide. 

And no, it’s not their job to deal with rude people. That’s crazy. They are there to help, not be abused. 

Message 24 of 68
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Every single time that I have called American Express or Discover with any issue - they have bent over backwards to make certain that the issue is resolved or the question is answered - to my satisfaction. I do not believe that they intentionally and willfully try to NOT give me what I called for. I am a good customer - and they are good credit card companies. Not one single CSR has ever treated me with disdain or a lack of respect. But, perhaps because at one time I was a CSR for Microsoft corporate support customers (and I know how trying customer can be) - I have always treated the CSRs with respect with any time that I have called in. Kindness and respect works every time...

Message 25 of 68
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I have had good reps and really bad reps, but yes their chats sessions are basically scripted and also most of the telephone calls have seemed very scripted to me from my experience.

Overall they don't even come close the Navy and disco, my last few conversations with AMEX have been beyond frustrating, so I just to call them anymore lol

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 26 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Disclaimer and preface : I have no experience with Amex customer service, cant make positive or negative claims. 

With that said, all these references to "third world reps" are insulting and disdainful.  If you cannot make a point without internet arrogance syndrome, maybe there really isn't a point to be made other than "5 min of my time gone".  Dont they know who I am!!!

A lot of members on this forum are from those countries and/or moved here from overseas. 

That is exactly what I was thinking.  If someone the attitude that they are somehow inferior because they are from "third world countries" I can only imagine the attitude that they give to the CSR.   I am sure a lot of chat representatives are from other countries.  That is why they are on chat and not talking on the phone.  But I have never had issues with them and I contact them all the time. 

Message 27 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.

Especially the OP. If you are going to start a new thread about what terrible customer service you received after talking to multiple people you should be required to give some details.  As everyone has always gone out of their way to be overly nice at Amex I really would like to know what would cause someone to get multiple people to be rude to you.

Message 28 of 68
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.

Exactly. 

How much time you have Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Well I had called in regards of a CLI and the reason on the denial letter, this was after I was prompted by my online chat session to call as "they understood my point", phone rep read me the script and when I explained that my payment didn't bounce but it was missing a number on my checking account number and honestly it should not have cleared and been verified when adding the payment account and prior to me using it, the rep didn't skip a beat and reread the same script, but did add that after some time it wouldn't count against me, but the were not rude just not very friendly.

Another time the had denied DH for increase stating he hadn't used his card for X amount of months, even though he never got the "credit steps to speak" email, however he did use card, they claimed he did not even though statement history said he had, rep didn't care said he was reading his online account wrong yeah ok lol.

DH had closed a few cards that he wasn't using, the rep never once asked him or even suggested on trying to keep the card.

My other encountered down the road a bit I called after I applied for a CLI, I thought "sometime may have passed", but apparently it didn't, so when I called to inquire the rep said no we don't have your request on file, was I sure I applied. I said yes well he said nope I don't see anything would you like to apply, yes dummy me and denied again, then get connected to another rep who was a little rude and asked why I would apply twice in one week Excuse me uggggg.

And then my last denial reason was absurd, so I have decided to SD them, not take it personal and let their reps drive me nuts, it's just business but sometimes I think their reps need a refresher course.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 29 of 68
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Especially the OP. If you are going to start a new thread about what terrible customer service you received after talking to multiple people you should be required to give some details.  As everyone has always gone out of their way to be overly nice at Amex I really would like to know what would cause someone to get multiple people to be rude to you.

For my first call, I was looking to check on the shipping for my card as it hadn't shown up. The guy kept repeating that it would take up to 10 days to receive my card. I could hear him rolling his eyes. It took 3 attempts to get him to understand that it was past that and I wanted to verify the address was correct and that it had been shipped. After he places me on hold for 10 minutes he came back and said that the card was shipped the day before, which was after the 10 days.

For my second call, my payments weren't updating to my account in a timely fashion. The rep kept telling me I could only make 1 payment in the first 30 days and it could take up to 3 days for the balance to reflect it. I kept trying to tell her that I was in my second month and it was taking a week and a half to 2 weeks to update each payment ( I had made 4). She just kept repeating it until she asked if I wanted her to make an exception payment. I said, "sure." She then stated, puzzled, that I had just made 4 payments. I then asked her to check when I made them and when they were posted. At that point she understood what I was asking and put me on hold for 15 minutes. Came back and said everything should be fine now. Since then, my balance updates immediately with payments clearing in 1-2 days.

Message 30 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.