Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Executive Office Advise

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Executive Office Advise

My credit scores are between 680 and 700, I have a discharged bankruptcy from 2005 (medical bills/surgery when I didn't have health insurance), no late payments, always pay in full and very low utilization.  I make $72,000 a year.  I can't for the life of me get any Amex card, even the Zync.  When I get the denial, I call the executive offce, who always give me an attitude and give me the phone number for new accounts, where they can't/won't do anything for me - half the time they can't even find the application I had submitted.  They don't even give me a chance to explain the details of my bankruptcy.

I hear of people calling the executive office and actually talking to people.  What am I doing wrong?  Does anyone have a name and extension number of someone they have talked to who have been able to get help?

Ideally, I really want the BCE or the BCP (I don't mind the annual fee) because of the rewards, although if I have to start with Zync, I will.  I just can find anyone willing to even listen to what I have to say when I call.

Would a letter to the executive office help?  I found an address doing a search.  Are there any fax numbers or email addresses out there for the executive office?  Maybe by one of these methods, someone will actually help me.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Executive Office Advise

It doesn't hurt to try but not all executive office reps are empowered the same at all lenders.

Amex in particular is extremely anti-BK. There have been some who reported Zync success with a BK 8 years old; however, there have been incredibly few with BK's more recently than that.

Also Amex traditionally doesn't do recons unless the information on the report is inaccurate which in this case it isn't.

It's simply Amex policies and underwriting criteria, and in some respects they're one of the least flexible lenders about such things. I wish I had better advice other than to say next year you may have more luck.

        
Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I had another thought: I believe from your posts you are married? Is it possible for your spouse to open an Amex and have you added as an AC (AU in Amexese)?

This might give you the opportunity to get around the BK issue sooner with them, or at least ease the approval process in their internal model later on potentially.

        
Message 3 of 8
ChrisW
Valued Member

I'm surprised by this, I thought Amex was supposed to have the best customer service.  I'm not sure of anyone to contact, but I was just approved intantly for $2000 last week for the BCP and I also I have BK from 2005 on file.  I am at about 25% UTI, with no lates or baddies, and only had 1 inquiry that was nearly a year old when I applied.  Hopefully when you get the denial letter it will give a clear explanation of why they denied you. 

8/2012 TU 693 EQ 698
9/14/2012 TU 718 (Discover's score included in welcome letter)
9/14/2012 EX 717 (Amex Score)

Discover More $4000, Chase Freedom $6000, Amex BCP $6000, Barclays/Juniper $3600, Care Credit/GEMB $5000, Orchard Bank $1850
Message 4 of 8
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

My credit scores are between 680 and 700, I have a discharged bankruptcy from 2005 (medical bills/surgery when I didn't have health insurance), no late payments, always pay in full and very low utilization.  I make $72,000 a year.  I can't for the life of me get any Amex card, even the Zync.  When I get the denial, I call the executive offce, who always give me an attitude and give me the phone number for new accounts, where they can't/won't do anything for me - half the time they can't even find the application I had submitted.  They don't even give me a chance to explain the details of my bankruptcy.

I hear of people calling the executive office and actually talking to people.  What am I doing wrong?  Does anyone have a name and extension number of someone they have talked to who have been able to get help?

Ideally, I really want the BCE or the BCP (I don't mind the annual fee) because of the rewards, although if I have to start with Zync, I will.  I just can find anyone willing to even listen to what I have to say when I call.

Would a letter to the executive office help?  I found an address doing a search.  Are there any fax numbers or email addresses out there for the executive office?  Maybe by one of these methods, someone will actually help me.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.  

I have been fighting for anything from amex.....even zync with my BK 2005 as well.........no go apped twice for zync,one before i new about this site and second  back in April...no success......i am oing to burn an inq in june when my bk turns 8yrs........

i will let u guys know what happens......

keep us updated on any info u may find....

Chris .....I think it helped you being an AU on spouses card to sneak u in......I will try and see what happens....

Message 5 of 8
ChrisW
Valued Member

I got approved for the card on my own, I'm not an AU on any accounts.  My wife doesn't have an Amex yet, I am still working on rebuilding her credit.  So far got her up from low 500's to 683 TU Fico as of yesterday. 

8/2012 TU 693 EQ 698
9/14/2012 TU 718 (Discover's score included in welcome letter)
9/14/2012 EX 717 (Amex Score)

Discover More $4000, Chase Freedom $6000, Amex BCP $6000, Barclays/Juniper $3600, Care Credit/GEMB $5000, Orchard Bank $1850
Message 6 of 8
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

No, I'm not married so being added on as AU is not possible for me.  I guess I will just have to wait.  It just burns me that I see people with lower scores, lower incomes, higher overall utilization, saying they have a couple of lates and some charge-offs that happened within the past 2 or 3 years getting approved for the Zync and they won't even touch me.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 7 of 8
adavis425
Established Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

No, I'm not married so being added on as AU is not possible for me.  I guess I will just have to wait.  It just burns me that I see people with lower scores, lower incomes, higher overall utilization, saying they have a couple of lates and some charge-offs that happened within the past 2 or 3 years getting approved for the Zync and they won't even touch me.

Bk is huge to AMEX. Lates and COs don't even compare. They are probably wary that you could potentially burn them. I know crap happens and you do what you have to do, but (most) creditors don't really care about the backstory. On the upside, I think at your 8 year mark you'll have more luck getting in. Just give it time and keep up the good work.  Smiley Happy

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.