Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Retention Offer

tag
Gunnerboy
Established Contributor

AMEX Gold Retention Offer

AF hit this morning, so I decided to check on a retention offer.

10,000 MR points (for no spend)

or

$75 statement credit

I went with the MR points. That offer seems in line with a few other Gold retentions I read of in the past few months. Even with my reduced spending during the pandemic, I was still hoping for a better offer. This was actually my first attempt at asking for a retention offer, on any card!

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Gold Retention Offer

Not a bad offer for no spend. And certainly a lot better than the data points of folks who are getting nothing even after several calls and have significant spend.
Message 2 of 14
Gunnerboy
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
Not a bad offer for no spend. And certainly a lot better than the data points of folks who are getting nothing even after several calls and have significant spend.

Ok, thanks @Loquat! Feeling better about the offer now.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 14
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Congrats on getting an offer. Hopefully you'll get more use from the card at some point this year. 👍🏻 

Message 4 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Loquat wrote:

I wonder if this might be a case of Amex just calling their bluff?  It doesn't take much monthly spend at all on Gold to be a huge points earner compared to nearly any other card for restaurant and grocery spend over the course of a year, and the existing and forthcoming credits and any Amex Offers should essentially wipe out the AF anyway.  

With a heavy heart (since it had been my daily driver since 2002), I actually tried to close PRG a few years back and got a retention offer, and I am very glad I did since the revamped Gold Card has been huge for me and I still have my nearly 20 year-old card.

Congrats on the successful recon!

Message 5 of 14
Gunnerboy
Established Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Congrats on getting an offer. Hopefully you'll get more use from the card at some point this year. 👍🏻 

@blindambition Thank you!

Message 6 of 14
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

I wonder if this might be a case of Amex just calling their bluff?  It doesn't take much monthly spend at all on Gold to be a huge points earner compared to nearly any other card for restaurant and grocery spend over the course of a year, and the existing and forthcoming credits and any Amex Offers should essentially wipe out the AF anyway.  

With a heavy heart (since it had been my daily driver since 2002), I actually tried to close PRG a few years back and got a retention offer, and I am very glad I did since the revamped Gold Card has been huge for me and I still have my nearly 20 year-old card.

Congrats on the successful recon!

Even though I couldn't maximize this card, being low income and tied into UR platform. I could easily maximize that card if I didn't have other cards that I had to maximize, or just starting out. Covers so many categories and some really useful perks and offers being offered during COVID.

Message 7 of 14
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

My gold AF is due to hit any minute and I an considering a downgrade to green because I Already have a high AF travel and restaurant  card. Hope they give me a retention offer if I tell them I may be closing it.

Good on you, OP. 

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 8 of 14
Gunnerboy
Established Contributor

@BallBounces wrote:

My gold AF is sue to hit any minute and I an considering a downgrade to green because U already have a high AF travel and restaurant  card. Hope they give me a retention iffer if I tell them I may be closing it.

Good on you, OP. 

@BallBounces Thanks!  Good luck to you!

Message 9 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

10K isn't a bad offer. I didn't get a retention offer at all. Was about to close the card but then I did the math on the old/new benefits and my point earning etc and I still ended up coming out ahead even with the AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.