Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - HP for Addl Cards and Member Since

tag
satio
Frequent Contributor

AMEX - HP for Addl Cards and Member Since

I've been rebuilding and completing my "recovery" from financial struggles from 2014.  Scores currently in the 680s across all CRAs.

I recently app'd and approved for AMEX BCP with 5000CL, waiting on card to arrive.

I also want an AMEX Gold. I am waiting to app for this but I have read that with an existing account adding a second will likely only require a SP vs another HP. What is the experience of others?

I previously had (2) accounts with AMEX that were closed in good standing back in 2014, paid in full but my scores were in the 500s from all my troubles and debt at the time. No hard feelings, I was a credit risk at the time.

I had been a member since 1987. I have read other reports that if you request a modified Member Since date that AMEX will sometimes honor it. This is more of a personal thing, I know it doesnt really matter what is printed on the card.

Anyone with experience in making such a request?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX - HP for Addl Cards and Member Since

Since you're a new customer again, wait until the card has reported. At that point, you'll likely be in for SP approvals. And yes, you can request your original member date on the card. It won't age the accounts on your reports back to that date but they will put the date on your new cards for the good feels.

Message 2 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Member since usually estsblishes on second card ime. Also though many get sp spprovals after intial card, hp is still possible. Im living proofSmiley Wink ( Bonvoy)
Message 3 of 30
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Will the soft pull work if you are not logged in to the Amex site?  If I login, the offer is $25 less than if I don't login.  

Thanks

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a YMMV thing, always assume every app is a HP. SPs are generally a courtesy thing from AMEX as you situate as a member. 2-3 months after the opening of your first card is generally the acceptable time to expect an SP from AMEX. I opened my Delta Gold 2 months after my first AMEX, a Gold Card, with an SP. But I assumed the risk of an HP as well.

And you can still receive a SP if applying through incognito. After you hit apply, it will figure out you are an existing customer and ask to log in. You will do this while retaining the incognito SUB.
Message 5 of 30
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

For the member since date call them and ask them ( MINUS all the financial problems in 2014 ). Just make sure the older card was closed in good standing to avaid an embarassing conversation

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 30
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Wait until they atart SPing you. I received a double pull from EX and TU for my second and third apps. I didn't find out about TU until like 6 months later because none of my monitoring services alerted me. I was just going through my reports checking inquiry dates and came across them.

Message 7 of 30
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Also, my first card came with a member date of 99 on it. @K-in-Boston had given me a link to the old site and it shows member since date at the top which was how I knew what date would be on the card.

Message 8 of 30
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just as a YMMV thing, always assume every app is a HP. SPs are generally a courtesy thing from AMEX as you situate as a member. 2-3 months after the opening of your first card is generally the acceptable time to expect an SP from AMEX. I opened my Delta Gold 2 months after my first AMEX, a Gold Card, with an SP. But I assumed the risk of an HP as well.

And you can still receive a SP if applying through incognito. After you hit apply, it will figure out you are an existing customer and ask to log in. You will do this while retaining the incognito SUB.

Thanks.  I am assuming hard pull but wanted to do what I can for the soft pull.

Message 9 of 30
satio
Frequent Contributor

Appreciate all the feedback and experience.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.