Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX MR Offer. Should I Take it?

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX MR Offer. Should I Take it?

the bcp is cash, does you no good for points.  depends on what you are trying to do - to me it much easier to amass points via chase than ax for many reasons.  if you rolled back the clock a bit and could still get a csr @ max value you could end up with a csr = 104, csp w/ au = 59 and an ink = 85.  248 points is quite a start into the points world.  you then pc the csp to a freedom or freedom unlimited depending on ones needs and they both can transfer to the csr to supesize their values.  you can then tap the csp again in 2 years for more points.  nothing beats a bonus to kick start points accumulation.  then you have the ink.  if you have a business that matches the 3x you are looking to 3x up to $150K per year or 450K points.  1mil in points in one year with chase is a snap if ones spending profile fits the ink along with the other card intros + ongoing accumulation is also not too shabby - plug into reddit for further details.  except for museums, tours and better restaurant's and hotel you will find visa/mastercard far more accepted than amex is in europe.  in france no >1* wants to take it.  ax is once in a lifetime per card for bonus which is why many just bonus and burn them.  to me the prg is a no-brainer at the offer you have.  the platinum give you 5x vs 3x on air but the club is a big part of it so I would pass on that + there are much better plat offers waiting.  good car rental insurance and offers on the ax - I just got 7500 for $300 spend with dell.  the airline credit is not the same as chase, meaning nowhere as good.  with ax you have to partner with an airline for the entire year and official changes are only allowed in jan.  outside of jan credits may not trigger as I have found out first hand.  customer support is us based for chase. 100% outsourced for ax.  chase is a snap to deal with in general, ax not so much.  I could go on and on but all my bs aside I think you should snap up the prg while you have the chance and they think about what you want to do in the future.  if you don't want the prg when the next af hits then transfer out to a partner or open an everyday and do the move.

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I do have a CSP and Freedom. I was 1 card over the 5/24 limit when the CSR came around. I'd have been all over that. I have about 60,000UR's just sitting there right now. 

I like the the idea of grabbing that bonus now. That could be useful to hoard if nothing else lol. I wouldn't mind waiting to see if they come up with something better but after what you said and my research it looks like this is about as good of an offer as it gets for the PRG. I read that at one time it hit 75,000 but that could never come again this decade lol.

ah fantastic. I got my csr over 5/24 as well as my csp and ink.  the branch is the ticket to bypass all that.  you are all set, get the prg right now, strike while the iron is hot imo -- that is the lowest spend of all time and the af is outstanding.  your must have a good profile with ax to get that sort of offer, good for you.  you have some nice r/t to france on the horizon, ah paris!  see if you can refer a few friends on your csp, you get 10K a pop for them and I think the csr is going to come back shortly with ~75K to disrupt the us bank launch, they play dirty like that which is why I like em lol. I would app for that as well when it comes up and make your csp a fu for the full tri effect. re the prg,  you can often get 5K for an au with $ 500 spend even if its yourself, just keep that in mind and look at the offers all the time, one might come up where you can rack up some more points.   report back!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can you get the 5000MR for $500 spend on AU even if its is yourself? Do you not need to add someone and provide their social while adding an AU?

Message 12 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How can you get the 5000MR for $500 spend on AU even if its is yourself? Do you not need to add someone and provide their social while adding an AU?

just chat them up and add yourself.  will impact 5/24 and aaoa of course.

Message 13 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

I'd take the PRG offer if you want the points. That seems like a decent offer. I would not take the plat offer though. I have seen much higher offers for the plat. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.