Did you mean: 

AMEX NPSL Question

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

AMEX NPSL Question

Hello,

I was just approved for an AMEX PR GOLD

Does anyone knows what is the internal limit you start with ?

I tried the spending ability button online on my account for $1000 and $700 and both times it didn't approve that amount

What is the best way to increase this limit ? Max the card and pay off in the middle of the statement cycle and heavy use it again? or just heavy use it once and pay it once a month?

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX NPSL Question

Just use the card as you normally would.  If you naturally run into a declined charge, then pay off the card in full.  I think it's best to start using the card like you really intend to as soon as you get it, so Amex can quickly gauge what type of customer you are.  After a few months, you won't have to worry about your internal limit unless making an abnormally large purchase.

Message 2 of 12
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just use the card as you normally would.  If you naturally run into a declined charge, then pay off the card in full.  I think it's best to start using the card like you really intend to as soon as you get it, so Amex can quickly gauge what type of customer you are.  After a few months, you won't have to worry about your internal limit unless making an abnormally large purchase.

+1 I think Koop10010 is correct. I would start off slow first few months.

1st month: spend 500-1k

2nd month: spend 1k-1.5k

3rd month: spend 1.5k-2k

4th month: spend your normal routine.

Sorry if the spending scale is wrong for you. It's just an example.

I paid my bi-weekly/or before the statement cut Smiley Wink

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like there is a flag on your account for some reason. This happened to me when my zync was brand new. You may have to call and verify that its you. You can ask about your internal limit at that time.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 12
YahComb
Established Contributor

you said you were just approved-do you actually have the card yet? I think AMEX likes to cap spending ability on charge cards until they are activated.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 5 of 12
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@YahComb wrote:

you said you were just approved-do you actually have the card yet? I think AMEX likes to cap spending ability on charge cards until they are activated.

+1 if the account is brand new you maybe under the temporary internal limit until you activate the card. I used 1.1k first month, 5.5k the second month and I just started the third and have 500 on it right now. If you plan on large purchase early in history I strongly suggest calling it in prior to running charge. I did this the second month and no problems.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I charged almost 10k the first month I had my Amex but prepaid the bill after about 6k was on the balance,

Several months later I needed to make a charge over 20k and, for the first time, checked my spending limit first. While it was approved I noticed they softed TU (and possibly others) on the same day I checked SL.

Hard to figure out exactly what they do to set spending limit but I suspect they may well pull from CRAs real time for higher charges. No idea what they are looking for but it appears highly automated.

Since then I haven't a reason to charge larger amounts but just use it.  I also carry backup just in case.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I have BCP, and was surprised to see the link to "Check your Spending Ability" on a credit card  (My assumption is that I can spend up to my CL, maybe the check allows me to see if I can go above).  So I just tried with a made up figure, fortunately  only 5% of my CL.  To my surprise once it is approved, my "Available Credit" is reduced by that much.  So I guess it's like a Pending Charge, so I have learnt not to do that again!

Message 8 of 12
EmpressLuv
Contributor

I recently got mine in July and a charge of mine was declined with a call in message..the girl told me my internal limit was $2500 since it is new and they had to gauge my spending habit and payment history before it can be higher...so i said ok no problem.  I added my husband on it the following month just telling him that together let's try not to spend $2500 and we have kept it so, then last month we both had car issues and had to do some maintenance.  We ran up to $3600+ on it and everything was fine....but from July to now we have always paid as soon as the statement is cut so i don't know if that is why the internal limit has increased.

My Wallet: AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX BCE 1K, Express 1350, Victoria Secret 2250, Macy's 2000, Kay's 7600, Capital One 1400, Capital One 4000, Quicksilver One 3500; Quicksilver 3000; QVC 3500, Walmart 6000, Pier 1 1250, Kohl's 1500, JCrew 1550, JCPenny 3600, Discover 1500, Lowes 12000, Amazon 2400

Lender Pull: 2/16/13 TU: 672 EX: 681 EQ: 671
Current Scores: 2/6/15: TU 696 EX: 679 EQ: 658
Goal Score: 700
Message 9 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

If you were approved for NPSL, usually your internal limit starts at least 1k, I have tested over 3k on mine, never had a charge declined, But the golden rule is never spend more than your monthly income at least not in the first few months. Charging more than your monthly income is a trigger for an FR. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.