Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima sucks

tag
Kinglord
Regular Contributor

AMEX Optima sucks

Does anyone have any experience of being upgraded or CLI on the AMEX Optima?  I have had mine since OCT 18 and have never been offered or approved for a CLI.  It seems the pre-qualify on AMEX website is not working, makes me wonder if the upgrade feature is also not active.

Any Help?

37 REPLIES 37
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Optima sucks

Please edit the title, because if it stays as is, I can tell you right now what kind of responses you're going to get, and then I'll have to work. 

Message 2 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't know about upgrades or CLIs, but the more common route seems to be to apply for a regular Amex card after a few years.

Browsing old threads I found a case of someone who had Optima for 4 years before getting a prequal offer for a regular card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Optima was and is for people who've had issues with Amex. It only sucks if you dont understand why you received one in the first place. 

Message 4 of 38
Kinglord
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Optima was and is for people who've had issues with Amex. It only sucks if you dont understand why you received one in the first place. 

Very understanding of why I have it, I still see that **bleep** old closed card on my CR.  Smiley Sad  Just dont wanna carry such a crappy AMEX.

Message 5 of 38
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Close it. 

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you pay them in full to get the Optima or did you agree to settle it? If the former, I can see why you're annoyed but if it's the latter, you should be happy they even let you back in at all. Life happens but there are consequences regardless. If you want to build back up with AMEX, you have to put in the time. If that's too much effort, close it and move on. 

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the months to come, millions of people that had never imagined that they would be in such a position will be defaulting on loans.

Many of them will be Amex holders and many of those will happily take an Optima card if offered when they attempt to rebuild.

Message 8 of 38
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Kinglord wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Very understanding of why I have it, I still see that **bleep** old closed card on my CR.  Smiley Sad  Just dont wanna carry such a crappy AMEX.

Then close it, pretty simple .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Kinglord wrote:

It seems the pre-qualify on AMEX website is not working

It is.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.37.39 PM.png

@Kinglord wrote:

makes me wonder if the upgrade feature is also not active.

Upgrades are fine.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.39.53 PM.png

@Kinglord wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of being upgraded or CLI on the AMEX Optima?  I have had mine since OCT 18 and have never been offered or approved for a CLI.

If you have Optima, there has been a previous unsatisfactory relationship with American Express.  Your overall profile and your relationship with American Express needs to warrant the extension of additional credit.  A year and a half may not be enough time.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.