AMEX Plat Holders: Favorite Perk?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Plat Holders: Favorite Perk?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got this in my hands yesterday. Can't wait to start using it (and get billed for the new $550 because I was stupid enough to not make up my mind before the change Smiley Mad), I'd like to ask current cardholders:

Which perk in the Plat do you find the most useful/worth it for you? And if its not in the Plat which perk in which travel card would be your top?

Just out of curiosity, why would you need the Platinum when you have the Centurion?

the cent is just an AU (also got it after I got my plat, had no idea I was getting one), while the plat i applied and got in my own name, I don't use (moreso not really allowed to) my AU cards except for emergencies or for family related affairs. Parental prefers I practice independent management of my credit Smiley Sad I could tell her I have a plat now and theres no need, but I'm not gonna deny an AU line and a free cool card Smiley Happy

What a fortunate guy to be AU on that card.Smiley Wink

But IIRC AMEX's AUs do get separate statements and can pay that themselves using their own online login so it is in fact 'independent management' ?

Eitherways the 'perks' of these cards are mostly passive (i.e. no need to charge) so just holding the card without actual usage should have already netted you what Platinum card has to offer.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure; I've never held an AU from AMEX till now; but yea, I still run most of my charges (or plan to) through my PRG over the plat, since I can get 2X on dining and such!
Message 12 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Nothing that's really a standout favorite for me...more the cumulative value of a lot of moderately useful things. Pre-nerf Prestige I like more, but that's getting the axe soon.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not sure; I've never held an AU from AMEX till now; but yea, I still run most of my charges (or plan to) through my PRG over the plat, since I can get 2X on dining and such!

What's the AU fee on Cent? How do the perks of an AU Cent compare to the perks of a primary Platinum? I assume only the primary gets Delta Platinum and Hilton Diamond?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Nothing that's really a standout favorite for me...more the cumulative value of a lot of moderately useful things. Pre-nerf Prestige I like more, but that's getting the axe soon.

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the AU fee on Cent? How do the perks of an AU Cent compare to the perks of a primary Platinum? I assume only the primary gets Delta Platinum and Hilton Diamond?

7.5k 1 time, 2.5k per card per year and platinum carries over I believe. In simple terms its just Plat concierge but put on steroids

Message 14 of 20
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got this in my hands yesterday. Can't wait to start using it (and get billed for the new $550 because I was stupid enough to not make up my mind before the change Smiley Mad), I'd like to ask current cardholders:

Which perk in the Plat do you find the most useful/worth it for you? And if its not in the Plat which perk in which travel card would be your top?

I got rid of my amex plat because I had other high end cards that covered many of the benefits. I never got to try a centurion lounge so that benefit did nothing for me. Probably the most useful was the SPG gold status which I don't feel like did a whole lot for me. I had hilton gold from another card already. The airline credit was nice, but like I said I ditched the card. If I went back to the card it would be because I needed the hotel status especially if it extends to marriott now. 

AmEx Plat does get you gold at Marriot via matching with SPG.

Favorite perk for me is the Centurion Lounges, since I have one at my home airport. Between that, the airline credit, Global Entry fee, and statuses, I more than get the AF out of it...

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@accidentalpancake wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got rid of my amex plat because I had other high end cards that covered many of the benefits. I never got to try a centurion lounge so that benefit did nothing for me. Probably the most useful was the SPG gold status which I don't feel like did a whole lot for me. I had hilton gold from another card already. The airline credit was nice, but like I said I ditched the card. If I went back to the card it would be because I needed the hotel status especially if it extends to marriott now. 

Favorite perk for me is the Centurion Lounges, since I have one at my home airport. Between that, the airline credit, Global Entry fee, and statuses, I more than get the AF out of it...

the lounges is what I'll try to take advantage of. Shame they don't have one at JFK and LAX, but they do have one at LGA.

Message 16 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

the lounges is what I'll try to take advantage of. Shame they don't have one at JFK and LAX, but they do have one at LGA.

JFK T4 has a nice Delta SkyClub for when you're flying Delta. LGA has a Centurion but it's pre-security. At LAX I've only used the T4 Admirals lounge from Prestige, but there is a T5 SkyClub. There were whispers of Amex negotiating a lease to put a Centurion in LAX, but that was a while ago and I've heard nothing recent.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

JFK T4 has a nice Delta SkyClub for when you're flying Delta. LGA has a Centurion but it's pre-security. At LAX I've only used the T4 Admirals lounge from Prestige, but there is a T5 SkyClub. There were whispers of Amex negotiating a lease to put a Centurion in LAX, but that was a while ago and I've heard nothing recent.

are the Delta Skyclub food/drinks all complimentary like the cents? Never been in one, just been to a skyteam one. A cent in LAX would be nice, I'm surprised they havent put one in yet.

Message 18 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

are the Delta Skyclub food/drinks all complimentary like the cents? Never been in one, just been to a skyteam one. A cent in LAX would be nice, I'm surprised they havent put one in yet.

The food is free, and it's pretty good food in my experience. 

Notably, my SkyClub experience is limited to SFO T1 and JFK T4 - lounges that are praised as being above-average for Delta.

Complimentary booze: https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/products-services/delta-sky-club/complimentary.pdf

Message 19 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

so which card/perk in it do you prize as your highest now? 

Before it was the citi prestige card due the PP membership and access to AA lounges. That is going away but now I prefer the CSR with the lower AF, $300 travel credit that is easy to use, ability to earn URs, bonus categories that I use more often, PP membership, global entry if I need to renew it and it pairs well with my ink and freedom card in terms of earnings. I have marriot gold status on my own and hilton gold from a hilton credit card. If I didn't have the status at those chains and I was flying out of airports with centurion lounges I'd reconsider the plat card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.