Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Split-It Pilot

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

AMEX Split-It Pilot

AMEX has a new feature, you can link your PayPal or Venmo account into your AMEX profile. Then any transaction on your AMEX cards, you can see a "Split It" icon on the transaction details, to send a payment request through those "expense sharing" services to do cost sharing. 

I have only been able to set it up, not actually share a cost yet, but it seems another innovation by AMEX to keep up with how people want to use their cards.  If you are the payer of the shared cost, such as a meal out, your AMEX gets the points.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Split-It Pilot

So if we go out and you use this, you collect the points, you decide how much to tip, and I get to pay cash immediately instead of benefitting from the grace period.

This at a point in time when restaurant software generates individual bills in less time than the Split-it takes.I noticed it on my account the other day but didn't bother with it. I don't eat out with people that stupid

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting, thanks for sharing @NRB525 ! 

Message 3 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

AMEX has a new feature, you can link your PayPal or Venmo account into your AMEX profile. Then any transaction on your AMEX cards, you can see a "Split It" icon on the transaction details, to send a payment request through those "expense sharing" services to do cost sharing. 

I have only been able to set it up, not actually share a cost yet, but it seems another innovation by AMEX to keep up with how people want to use their cards.  If you are the payer of the shared cost, such as a meal out, your AMEX gets the points.

I'm not quite following. Is this providing some way for you to earn MR even when you don't use your card or is this just a glorified calculator that lets people keep track of who owes them what?

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

I'm not quite following. Is this providing some way for you to earn MR even when you don't use your card or is this just a glorified calculator that lets people keep track of who owes them what?

It would let you keep the MR for everyone, while they pay you cash over a month before you have to pay Amex. I imagine a lot of people will use it, but not many who hang around here. 

Example: We go out to dinner. It cost $50 total. I put it on an Amex Gold and collect 200 MR points, while you get to pay me $25 cash right away insead of waiting for your own credit card's bill.

Message 5 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

It would let you keep the MR for everyone, while they pay you cash over a month before you have to pay Amex. I imagine a lot of people will use it, but not many who hang around here. 

Example: We go out to dinner. It cost $50 total. I put it on an Amex Gold and collect 200 MR points, while you get to pay me $25 cash right away insead of waiting for your own credit card's bill.

Do you ever eat out with other people? 

Most use cash or debit cards. Last time I checked, no Amex M&Ms on cash or debit. 

Message 6 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not seeing how this is any different than if I throw everyone's dinner on my card and they pay me cash or get my dinner next time we're out. It feels a bit like a flashy interface thrown on top of nothing at all, with the added bonus that you share who you had dinner with with AmEx so they can know, too.

Am I missing something else here?

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

Do you ever eat out with other people? 

Most use cash or debit cards. Last time I checked, no Amex M&Ms on cash or debit. 

We are not talking about my life at all, we are talking about a hypothetical situation that Amex created this for. Cash and debit don't enter into the situation at all.

But for the record, most people I eat out with pay by credit card, as do I. I do sometimes eat out with people who pay cash or debit. Once again, we can have the restaurant split the bill, or they can send me the money or hand it to me. We really don't need Amex or Paypal's help with it, regardless of how we do things.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

At first glance I'm seeing it as just another way for them to pry into other sectors of your financial picture. Everyone I eat out with pay their own bill, either with CC, debit or cash. 

However, I do see the positive side for the Gold Card holder who pays the whole bill and collects the points. Then his/her buddies just pay them back with cash. After all, if they're paing with cash anyways, then they're not concerned with earning points etc.

Just recently Two friends and I ate out after a Movie and one paid in cash. I asked why he wasn't using his rewards CC, and he said it has  balance trying to pay off.  

As for this, I'll wait for more DP on whether it will be useful or not. But I don't really see it taking off for reason already said above. As most my friends don't even have PP/Venmo anyway. 

Message 9 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Oh, I'll be all over this

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.