Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX. VERUS DISCOVER..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX. VERUS DISCOVER..

I HAVE A CREDIT SCORE OF 712 TU..AND 732 EQ... DO U THINK DISCOVER OR AMEX WOULD APPROVE ME WITH NO OTHER CREDIT CARDS ON MY CR.. IF SO WHATS THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO..WHICH WOULD U SAY IS A BETTER COMPANY..IF YOU DONT RECOMMEND EITHER SHOULD I JUST APPLY FOR A REGULAR C.C..
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX. VERUS DISCOVER..

tony3 wrote:
I HAVE A CREDIT SCORE OF 712 TU..AND 732 EQ... DO U THINK DISCOVER OR AMEX WOULD APPROVE ME WITH NO OTHER CREDIT CARDS ON MY CR.. IF SO WHATS THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO..WHICH WOULD U SAY IS A BETTER COMPANY..IF YOU DONT RECOMMEND EITHER SHOULD I JUST APPLY FOR A REGULAR C.C..

Your scores are good but Discover in particular wants to see a a positive CC history. Amex the same but maybe to a lesser extent. Do you have an established relationship with a bank or credit union in your area? If yes, I would start with them. Otherwise, you might look for a secured CC...BoA has a good one which will allow you to graduate to an unsecured CC with several months of on-time payments.
Message 2 of 6
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

try for the discover card. if you have a thick credit history eventhough u dont have another cc, you will get approved.

i have had discover and amex and no longer have amex. long story short, after having an excellent history with amex i went to use my card and it was declined. i called to find out it was being rewevied for cancellelation because of a change in my credit score.

needless to say, i cancelled the acct immediately and kept my discover card! i have also heard stories of amex suspending customer's accts and requesting tax returns. you do not want that heach ache.

discover has better customer service and more about a pleasurable experience.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I HAVE HAD CARS IN MY NAME FOR APP 9 YEARS ...INSTALLMENT LOANS MOSTLY..  NO LATES ....2 STUDENT LOANS APP 4 YEARS AGO....SOME BADDLES...DISCOVERY MORE SOUNDS LIKE   A  GOOD CARD I HOPE THEY WOULD OVERLOOK THOSE BADDLES ( 60 DAYS LATE )...   QUESTION...DO YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM OFF EVERY MONTH OR CAN IT CARRYA BALANCE LIKE AMEX BLUE....THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

tony3 wrote:
I HAVE HAD CARS IN MY NAME FOR APP 9 YEARS ...INSTALLMENT LOANS MOSTLY..  NO LATES ....2 STUDENT LOANS APP 4 YEARS AGO....SOME BADDLES...DISCOVERY MORE SOUNDS LIKE   A  GOOD CARD I HOPE THEY WOULD OVERLOOK THOSE BADDLES ( 60 DAYS LATE )...   QUESTION...DO YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM OFF EVERY MONTH OR CAN IT CARRYA BALANCE LIKE AMEX BLUE....THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Amex and now Citi issusing mastercard brand Dinner Club, those are the only charge cards( or PIF card) I know of that's not a retail store card, yes Discover is revolving
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley TongueTry not to type in  all Caps- in the internet world all caps means you are shouting.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.