Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

tag
06GTS197
Valued Member

AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

Hi, just logged in to Amex and noticed my limit got cut from 30k to 15k. Nothing on my profile has changed. The only thing I can think of is I haven’t used the BCE in a month because another card has been serving my grocery needs for cash back.

Any idea why Amex would do this?

Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease

it does seems a trend now, this is the 5th reported case in the past week?

Amex is now probably in line with CL from other lenders.

Message 2 of 93
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@06GTS197 wrote:
Hi, just logged in to Amex and noticed my limit got cut from 30k to 15k. Nothing on my profile has changed. The only thing I can think of is I haven’t used the BCE in a month because another card has been serving my grocery needs for cash back.

Oh no, another one bites the dust (so-to-speak). I think you’re the 4th or 5th one that this CL slashing has happened to in as many days. 

Was the other card another AmX card?

Wow, just one month of nonuse and AmX is cutting limits. Now this is worrisome. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 93
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Looks like they are doing this quite a bit lately.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-chopped-CL-50/m-p/5542847?collapse_discussion=tru...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-AA-Reversal/m-p/5542949?collapse_discussion=true&...

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 93
06GTS197
Valued Member

Yea 1 month. I’m a little upset about the cut. Gonna call them tomorrow and ask for it back.

Message 5 of 93
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Hmm this seems to be happening a lot lately. Sorry about that! Hopefully you can rectify the situation

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 93
wasCB14
Super Contributor

OP, how much spend would you put on the card in a busy month?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 93
Chelow
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry hear that Op !  How long have you had this card for?  

Hopefully you can rectify that with a phone call tomorrow.! GL

I hope this new "trend" doesn't affect the 3x 61days CLI system. 

Message 8 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@06GTS197 wrote:

100% because they feel you aren't using a significant portion of the $30k limit they've given you.  My question to you is how much use you've been giving the card over the past 6-12 months?  I know you said you had a light/$0 month due to using another card (likely Discover, I did too) for groceries, but what about the months before that?  Can you give us the average spend you put on the card monthly, but also and perhaps even more important the single largest spend you've put through the card in any given month in the last 12 months?

Message 9 of 93
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

it does seems a trend now, this is the 5th reported case in the past week?

1 ) Amex is now probably in line with CL from other lenders.

No one likes to see a reduction, however when looked at from the the side, this should not be shocking.

Amex has been overly generous with CL increases and inflated CL's for a long time.

One reason they are so popular and recommended for every new user.

3x CL increases at 90+ days, higher than average CL's on cards !

They have decided that they need to reverse some of the inflated limits they have issued.

1)

Still at least 50% higher than OP's second largest CL.

The limit reduction puts the Amex at 4.5 times other cards average CL, started at 9 times CL.

$15,000 is a good CL for a capped grocery card.

Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.