Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

tag
fritscher
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease

Happened to me too but they took 6000 off my one card and put on newly approved card
Message 11 of 93
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure to be next.  Same 30K limit, rarely use it (ED).

At least I'll not be surprised and have a chance to ponder my impending reaction.

This is my crowbar account, followed by 28K elsewhere.

I don't find the rewards to be very good compared to other cards.

The one thing I can count on from AX is that a large purchase will go through without drama.

I may go ahead and close it if they CLD out of spitefulness, but at least it won't be a

knee-jerk reaction.

I'm sure that others have and will argue that I'm not entitled to that large of a CL if I'm not

using it, but I argue that other creditors don't typically reduce credit lines for reasons unknown

or "changes in policy".  I've done nothing wrong and suddenly I'm trusted half as much as I was

yesterday.  Perhaps next year I'll have a large purchase that I need to carry for a while.  I'd rather

the utilization during that period was 40% instead of 80%.

It is of little solace that they're apparently doing it across the board.

Message 12 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CJ7 wrote:

I'm sure that others have and will argue that I'm not entitled to that large of a CL if I'm not

using it, but I argue that other creditors don't typically reduce credit lines for reasons unknown

or "changes in policy". 

These other creditors are not as smart as Amex, then.  Amex is doing the financially responsible thing here and honestly other lenders should follow suit.  I find it ridiculous that Amex or any other lender for that matter will give someone that's using (say) 1% of their credit limit a great limit.  Then a greater limit again.  It's crazy when you think about it.  Take on greater risk for no greater reward... not exactly a great business practice.

I fully expect a CLD from Amex based on the recent posts of this forum and when it happens I'll accept it with open arms.  Then can lower my CL from $55k to $5k and honestly, that would be perfectly fine on their card that is lucky to see a few hundred bucks of spend from me in any given cycle.  It is what it is.  I would be less upset about the $50k CLD than I would be about not being able to test in 5 months whether or not I'd be able to raise that $55k limit to $60k.  Gotta love being a MF geek sometimes Smiley Wink 

Message 13 of 93
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Does anyone have data points on which card they do this to? Is it mostly BCE?

Message 14 of 93
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Does anyone have data points on which card they do this to? Is it mostly BCE?

I don't think it's a matter of Amex doing it to BCE accounts. I think it's a matter of Amex CLDing the type of customers who often have a BCE.

It's a pretty mediocre card! I got one years ago and rarely use it. I just have it for the infrequent useful offer and the extra history. I'd be logging into Amex, anyway, and can call Platinum CS with any problems.

People who spend a lot on the Amex grocery category will probably have a BCP or Gold. 2% on gas is kind of pointless when there are so many 2%-on-everything cards. 1% on other stuff is not very appealing.

Travel enthusiasts will probably get an MR or points/miles-earning card. Perhaps something that will help them earn elite status with a hotel or airline. Less-specialized customers may favor a no-AF cash back card, and Cash Magnet is comparatively new.

Amex 3x makes it relatively easy to grow a BCE CL, yet it's a card that hardly anyone here will put serious spend on.

---

$95 AF / (6%-3%) = $3166.66

So at $3167 of grocery spend per year, BCP provides more in net rewards than BCE. If you want to adjust for the fact the AF is due now and the cash back is in the future, maybe adjust it to $3600.

Less than $3,600 / 12 months = less than $300 of grocery spend per month

On a $15k CL, $300 is only 2% average utilization.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 93
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CJ7 wrote:

or "changes in policy". 

These other creditors are not as smart as Amex, then.  Amex is doing the financially responsible thing here and honestly other lenders should follow suit. 

Then they should have never done so to begin with.  A good analogy would be a dog on a chain.
I kind of like the length of my chain.  I've shown responsibility via usage and credit scores to earn
that longer chain. I shouldn't suddenly have my chain cut to half the length and expect to be happy
about it.  I have experienced the chain being longer.  Suddenly I have a chain the length of someone
with a 680 score. My owner might get his leg bitten off the next time he comes to feed me, and I'll
run off to NFCU where they'll reward me with a long chain and not take it away because someone
decided to change policy.

Something else I've never understood, why give out a limit of X, and when you reach X times 0.8
they freak out.

Just give me a limit you're comfortable with me using to begin with and quit playing silly games!

Message 16 of 93
redpat
Senior Contributor

Lol, they must be really tired of the guide to 3x CLI thread.

I see another monster thread coming along......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CJ7 wrote:

Just give me a limit you're comfortable with me using to begin with and quit playing silly games!

You're failing to recognize here that things/policies change.  At the time they obviously were willing to extend a certain limit and now presumably due to risk/exposure/ultimately profits they aren't and are tightening things up.  Policies change all the time based on circumstance. 

A restaurant may offer their employees a free shift meal, but have a lone restriction that their 2 best steaks aren't eligible.  An employee for 3 years working there that doesn't eat red meat eats a seafood dish almost every shift.  For whatever reason, several seafood prices go through the roof in the market and the owner as a result puts a restriction against employees ordering a few of the dishes that this employee regularly enjoys.  It is what it is.  At the time the initial policy was made, the owner was comfortable with all seafood dishes being free as a shift meal.  His costs went up, so he had to tighten things up.  While this may be a letdown to the employee, certainly they would "understand" the policy change.

Message 18 of 93
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@fritscher wrote:
Happened to me too but they took 6000 off my one card and put on newly approved card

Your’s was a reallocation, not a CLD. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 19 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good post from CB14 above.

Any BCE cardholder that has very high (say, $25k+) limit no doubt has other rewards cards as well.  I think it would be very rare to find a high limit BCE cardholder that has only that one card and uses it as their daily driver.  That being said, as CB14 points out the card is quite meaningless outside of the 3% grocery category for the majority of people that have a few other cards.  So then it comes down to how much can one really spend in a cycle on groceries?  Definitely not enough to support "needing" a $25k+ limit, that's for sure.

Message 20 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.