Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

tag
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease

Sounds like AMEX is finally tighting the CL purse strings!

Had to happen someday I guess. ☹️
Message 31 of 93
06GTS197
Valued Member

So I called Amex as I said I would. Asked them why my limit was decreased and there response was not enough spend in the last 12 months.

No says I, I said to the Amex lady. Kindly replace what was taken and we won’t have no problems. She proceeds to ask me a few simple questions.

Mr. Amex Cardholder, I am very pleased to inform you your limit has been restored.

Thank you Amex lady.

Message 32 of 93
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you were able to have your CL restored OP.

Message 33 of 93
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@06GTS197 wrote:
So I called Amex as I said I would. Asked them why my limit was decreased and there response was not enough spend in the last 12 months.

No says I, I said to the Amex lady. Kindly replace what was taken and we won’t have no problems. She proceeds to ask me a few simple questions.

Mr. Amex Cardholder, I am very pleased to inform you your limit has been restored.

Thank you Amex lady.

😁😁“Kindly replace what was taken and we won’t have no problems”

Sounds like a John Wayne moment. 

WTG on getting your credit restored. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 34 of 93
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
If you are being “steered” to use something other than AMEX, even for a discount, that merchant is violating AMEX Merchant Terms of Service. There was a Supreme Court case last year, decided in AMEX favor, that merchants can not do this, if they accept AMEX at all.

I'm not being steered. I'm offered a discount. 

The merchant will not say “I would like to steer you away from using your AMEX card” but the industry terminology for this discount offer is indeed “steering”. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_v._American_Express_Co.

My post that you responded at first was number 23 on the thread, I think. The begnning of the post was a reference to American Express reducing grocery rewards on my then BCP to 1% after approvimately $1500.00 of spend.  BCP cash back is 6% to a ceiling of 6k. That didn't get an honorable mention. That actually happened so I downgraded the card to BCE. It was eventually resolved after a lot of time wasting for me.   This is factual.

The remainder of your post was hypothetical upon hypothetical and off and running all the way to SCOTUS in what read to me as an attempt to throw shade on a merchant and place Amex as a victim. I apologize in advance if that is not your take on it. It's the way it read to me. 

That most recent discount also makes a reference to carecredit.com if someone needs longer terms tha the practice can offer. I intened to pay in full at the time of service. Using a check is not a problem. 

My post earlier today was not directed at you. Please try to understand that. I am amazed at what appears to me to be an amost pathological devotion to American Express on the site. 

I actually consider American Express to be a shady operator after several issues since the middle of 2015. Each isssue involved redeeming a reward. If Amex does not want to be in the cash back business, exit the market. If Amex does not want to do revolvers, exit the market. There is no ethcal reason to reneg or attempt to reneg after the spend. 

Thanks for understanding that this is not directed at you in any way. This is just the most receant and easiest post to find that shows what I am speaking of.  

Thank your for reading. 

Message 35 of 93
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@06GTS197 wrote:

Thank you Amex lady.

Good to hear. I'm guessing they asked for an income update?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 36 of 93
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@06GTS197 wrote:
Kindly replace what was taken and we won’t have no problems.

I think I'm going to go with "Put it back, ain't no reason nobody has to be taken behind the woodshed..." Smiley Very Happy

Message 37 of 93
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@06GTS197 wrote:

Thank you Amex lady.

Any more detail, specifically as to what they asked to justify restoring the limit?  Congrats on resolving it as well.

Message 38 of 93
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CJ7 wrote:

@06GTS197 wrote:
Kindly replace what was taken and we won’t have no problems.

I think I'm going to go with "Put it back, ain't no reason nobody has to be taken behind the woodshed..." Smiley Very Happy

😂🤣😂🤣

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 39 of 93
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@06GTS197, what kind of questions were you asked?

Message 40 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.