Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

tag
06GTS197
Valued Member

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease

Just basic income verification and updated personal information.

Message 51 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the letter that Amex halved the credit line on a lightly used card. After reading here, I called in and they restored my original line as others have experieinced. Thanks for all the good info.

Message 52 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got the letter that Amex halved the credit line on a lightly used card. After reading here, I called in and they restored my original line as others have experieinced. Thanks for all the good info.

Glad to hear that.  What was your limit before it was halved?  How much (swipes and/or dollars) were you putting through the card per cycle?

Message 53 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Limit was 49K. It had been my daily driver when Costco only took amex. Currently only use it a handful of times a year.  I wonder if Citi or Chase might do the same to their high credit limit/low use cardmembers?

Message 54 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got mine halved from $30k ---> $15k. Not pleased about this, but I hope I'll be able to restore it with a phone call. 

Message 55 of 93
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got mine halved from $30k ---> $15k. Not pleased about this, but I hope I'll be able to restore it with a phone call. 

A phone call seems to be all it takes. 

Do you mind giving us some DPs like useage, UT, payment history, etc.?Thanks. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 56 of 93
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

If I had to guess--I'd say that the CLs being targeted are $30k and above--the same median as Cap One was using when they started doing CLDs almost 2 years ago.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 57 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now a family member got the letter on a +/-  $1000 a year usage blue card. Credit line cut from 20k to 10k. Reinstated with a phone call. On both our phone calls the rep commented that we hadn't updated our info (adress phone numbers etc) since 2006 and wanted to know if it was all correct.

Message 58 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of weeks ago, DW’s BCE was reduced from $11,200 to $7,500 due to “minimal activity...in the last twelve months.” She only uses it maybe once or twice a month for miscellaneous spending. Luckily, the credit limit was immediately restored after a quick phone call.
Message 59 of 93
culture
Regular Contributor

Another one bit the Dust. 

Received the letter yesterday slashed 50% .   Limit was 22.5k .  I have this account since 2013.  This was the primary Costco and Grocery card.  After the Costco change the use was less every time,  I used it still for any grocery, some gass here and there but not the volume from costco.  I think I was putting arround $700 a month until it was moved to visa.   I had my cellphone bill there since the deals last summer or last fall cant recall. 

I havent called yet. I was suprised a bit dissapointed, but really aside from the utilization shirnk, I dont use it that much. 

Message 60 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.