cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease (Updated)

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's just a matter of mitigating their potential risk...

...So it does make sense for a lender to not put themselves into that position and not to let the borrower get into that position.

I agree with the overall point above and have always thought it's silly for Amex or any lender really to allow customers a monster limit when they're using an extremely tiny portion of their current limit.  This is an Amex through though and they are by far the worst when it comes to this.  I'm amazed they didn't take action earlier on and am even more surprised that they haven't nixed the 3X CLI thing all together.  It really makes no sense from a risk/reward standpoint that someone can get a $3000 SL card from Amex and within 8 months have that limit to $27,000 via a pair of 3X CLIs.  This could be someone spending $100/mo on their Amex card.  If someone's profile supports a $3000 limit in this example, there's no way in 8 months if their SL was $3000 that their limit should grow to $27,000 in 99% of cases.  I would think that in the relative near future Amex will take a look at this and act accordingly.  

By cutting high 5-figure limits in half, all they're doing is trying to fix the problem that they created, which was allowing growth to those limits in the first place on accounts that weren't being used much relative to those limits in the first place.  You'd figure they'd eventually confront the root cause of the issue and rather than slash big unused limits, simply not allow the growth in the first place to big limits if the current limit isn't being used heavily. 

Message 71 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX credit limit decrease

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting you are referencing food ... is the situation you mentioned yourself?

No, I've just worked in restaurants for 25 years, so I tend to come up with food-related analogies as a result quite often.

Message 72 of 93
kbell
New Contributor

@kbell wrote:

Blue Cash Everyday

11+ year history

Decrease from $25K to $12.5K in June 2019. Reason given: minimal activity in the last 12 months

Experian FICO 840

I only put 2-3 small charges a year. Experian still shows the old limit of $25K, so I do not know yet how the lower limit will impact my FICO score. I haven't decided if I want to call Amex to restore the credit line.

Experian credit alert shows FICO decreased by 28 points, 840 -> 812, as a direct result of the Amex decrease.

Message 73 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

My limit was $2k and was reduced to $800. My son used it sometimes and would pay off the balance. He was the one that noticed. That particular department doesn't open until 8 AM Eastern. I am definitely calling. They were the lowest limit card that I had at $2k. Now at $800 what is the point....
Message 74 of 93
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@kbell wrote:

Experian credit alert shows FICO decreased by 28 points, 840 -> 812, as a direct result of the Amex decrease.

Was that due to the decrease causing UTI % to cross known thresholds?

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 75 of 93
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

I would think so. I mean, the only reason I would ask a higher CL was that I can actually use the card without hurting utilization. In My Delta/Mariott cards for example, the typical usage cost is in the thousands. And since utilization is percentage based, the higher the spend, the exponentially higher the limit I would prefer. (If I spend 3K, a limit of 15K, is already 20% utilization).

Message 76 of 93
kbell
New Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

@kbell wrote:

I'm still at 1% overall. Zero balance on Amex.

Message 77 of 93
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@kbell wrote:

@FlaDude wrote:

@kbell wrote:

I'm still at 1% overall. Zero balance on Amex.

I'd be looking at everything else.  With 1% utilization, a limit decrease shouldn't change your score at all.

Message 78 of 93
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

This thread is making me neeeervoooous.  I count on my BCE to pad my overall utl as it's my highest (unused) limit and I'm still carrying 18K on my cards after financing a yuge purchase last year.  

Still, yesterday was my 181 and I went ahead with the CLI, which I got, but I do have to wonder if I'm going to be put on this new Amex diet like so many here.  Luckily, it seems a phone call is restoring limits but for how long?  Clearly Amex is undergoing an internal change and is regretting its lunatic-generosity of the past.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 79 of 93
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

This thread is making me neeeervoooous.  I count on my BCE to pad my overall utl as it's my highest (unused) limit and I'm still carrying 18K on my cards after financing a yuge purchase last year.  

It seems that everybody who has called in has gotten their CL restored so it might not be something to put too much effort into worrying about.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 80 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.