Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - due dates sliding...

tag
RickNATL
Established Contributor

AMEX - due dates sliding...

Curious...

Has anyone else noticed Amex (don't recall other cards doing this, yet) due dates sliding? I have some move to earlier due dates by as much as 3 days with no warning.  Just found the third one, with my Delta AMEX, moved from 27 to 24. I usually pay on 24th...missed the 8PM MST payment window by 1 hour, got a late fee. (it will automatically reverse he says).

If not Amex, any other card vendors?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX - due dates sliding...

I have never experienced this or heard of it.

When you called in to get the late charge reversed, did you mention the mysterious due date change?  What did 'he' say?

Message 2 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston can explain it better, but your due date is 25 days from statement close date. That day will change depending on how many days are in a month.

Message 3 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

I wouldn't consider that as the due date sliding, it's the due date accelerated.  Semantics.  

Most all of my cards are on autopay, and with the 5 AMEX cards I have, I have noted their preference to have the payment due date be as quick as about 15 days after statement date.  You can select other dates further out for the autopay timing, but then it gets questionable how long should I wait to pay something I will pay anyhow.  

For those accounts not on autopay, I set up the payment from the CCC side, based on their calendar telling me when that payment is due, or on a pattern of Day Of The Month which is well within the typical due date ( verifing the stmt due date is after that ) .  Said differently, waiting until one thinks the payment might be due to try to pay three days prior to that invites problems.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I now pay all my credit cards no later than 10 days after the statement cuts.  Yes, that's two weeks before the due date, and I realize that I'm not maximizing the float.  I spent too many years in financial trouble due to irresponsible credit card use to ever again want to pay credit cards at the last possible moment.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@RickNATL wrote:

Curious...

Has anyone else noticed Amex (don't recall other cards doing this, yet) due dates sliding? I have some move to earlier due dates by as much as 3 days with no warning.  Just found the third one, with my Delta AMEX, moved from 27 to 24. I usually pay on 24th...missed the 8PM MST payment window by 1 hour, got a late fee. (it will automatically reverse he says).

I know you didnt ask this question but I implore you to not wait until the due date to make your payment. It's Murphy's Law--if it can go wrong, it will!  A thousand-and-one things could happen. Your computer could freeze up, you can't reach a CSR, your cell phone dies, an emergency pops up. It's not worth the headache nor the stress.

If nothing else, make your payment at least 1 day in advance, preferably 2! And TBH, there's no way in hell (under any circumstances) where I'd wait until the minute before cutoff time--no matter the timezone--to make a payment. 

Please let this be a lesson-learned. When your statement comes out, check the due date at that time. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I would double-check your statements to ensure that your due dates actually changed.  I have never seen nor heard of Amex changing due dates (except by customer request), particularly as of 2009 as it is a violation of The CARD Act.

SEC. 106. RULES REGARDING PERIODIC STATEMENTS.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Section 127 of the Truth in Lending Act
(15 U.S.C. 1637) is amended by adding at the end the following:
‘‘(o) DUE DATES FOR CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS.— ‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The payment due date for a credit card
account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be the same day each month.

Amex due dates are always on the same day of the month.  Statement closing dates can and will change depending on the length of the month and whether the statement closing falls on a Saturday, but will always be at least 25 days prior to the due date.  Setting your due date to the 27th or 28th, will always ensure that your statement closes on the 2nd or 3rd (one day earlier if the 2nd (if 27th chosen) or 3rd (if 28th chosen) is on a Saturday).

Message 7 of 11
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@K-in-Boston can explain it better, but your due date is 25 days from statement close date. That day will change depending on how many days are in a month.

Due dates are supposed to be constant. It's the statement dates that changes. For Amex,

Statement date = Due Date — 25 days

If the result above is a Saturday, the formula is: Statement date = Due Date — 26 days 

Message 8 of 11
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@RickNATL wrote:

Curious...

Have you looked at previous statements (you can download pdf versions online or from the app) to confirm that your due date did indeed change?  Based on the responses above, Amex can't willy-nilly change due dates, but they may have sent a notice that you missed reading (I admit to not clicking on new changes to the account link emails). 

Since it has come up, it appears OP's normal pattern is to pay 3 days before the "usual" due date. Except the actual due date changed - thus the subject of his inquiry here.

Message 9 of 11
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I’ve never experienced changing due dates either on any of my revolving American Express cards. All of them have had their same due dates for years, even the business cards which aren’t bound by the same requirements. I believe my Zync card was the only one to have its due date changed when AmEx replaced the flexible “Please Pay By” date with a firm due date for the charge cards several years ago, but even it has had the same due date since.  

The only cards I have with varying due dates are from other banks, such as my GS Apple card and Barclays Aviator Business card, for different reasons. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.