cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX feeling the heat

Shep_634
Member

AMEX feeling the heat

Did anyone else read the WSJ article this morning on AMEX vs competitors? I know that it has been a subject (rewards being better from other creditors) that has been talked about fairly frequently in forums/blogs, but this is the second or third time in the last few weeks that I have seen articles like this in major papers. The articles make it seem like AMEX is fairly confident about this year going forward... What are people's thoughts? Is Amex going to roll out some new stuff this year (rewards structure/ big sign on bonuses) or just AMEX being over confident?

I have my little Green Card and my Cap1 QS (I've never really wanted more than two cards because I am not really a rewards chaser until my expenses changed recently, hence the Green Card), but I was thinking about applying for an AMEX EDP; I am thinking about putting it off for awhile to see if AMEX tries some big Q1 promo to boost itself back up....

As a complete side note, am I the only 30yo that still reads a physical newspaper?!? Kid at the counter stared at me like I had 6 heads when I answered his question as to why I read the paper and not the news on my phone with "I prefer to not use my phone for everything" ...maybe my wife is right and I was born in the wrong generation 😂😂😂 (apologies for any typos...I do at least use my phone to post)
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
Myrwyn
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat

Shep, keep reading that paper!  LOL


6/5/18 EQ-775, TU-778, EX-771
Last HP - 2/27/18 - Gardening as long as possible
Message 2 of 59
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat

All the CCC have been trying to compete w/ Amex on true travel benefits and perks and at the end of the day end up nerfing benefits and perks, just look at what happened to Citi Prestige.

 

It's like the race between the Tortis and the Hare in the end the Tortis ends up winning.

 

 



Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 59
Shep_634
Member

Re: AMEX feeling the heat

Oh no doubt that CCCs (like Citi) have nerfed some of their program perks, but that being said, the articles have tended to aim more on the financial state of AMEX, specifically how they are down significantly due to customers shopping elsewhere for a CC. I wonder if they will really want to play the game of weathering the storm and risk slipping more, causing more concern among investors as opposed to launching more significant rounds of perks/benefits to attract new customers and bring back older ones.
Message 4 of 59
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat


@Shep_634 wrote:
Oh no doubt that CCCs (like Citi) have nerfed some of their program perks, but that being said, the articles have tended to aim more on the financial state of AMEX, specifically how they are down significantly due to customers shopping elsewhere for a CC. I wonder if they will really want to play the game of weathering the storm and risk slipping more, causing more concern among investors as opposed to launching more significant rounds of perks/benefits to attract new customers and bring back older ones.

Amex has is niche and they are not about to panic worrying about the flavor of the month club.  That being said they did state that some changes are going to be made so we will just have to wait.

 

The 5x on airfare has made me change from CSR to Amex plat.  Also, their new alliance w/ American Airlines have resulted reduced airfare that you cannot get through travel sites and on their website but you need an Amex plat card personal or business to get that perk.



Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 59
CreditMD
Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat

I too try to use my phone the least possible and I'm 25 lol.

As for the AMEX, I hope they do bring out some new stuff.


Last HP: Nov 2, 2017
Message 6 of 59
TheGeekyCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat


@redpat wrote:

@Shep_634 wrote:
Oh no doubt that CCCs (like Citi) have nerfed some of their program perks, but that being said, the articles have tended to aim more on the financial state of AMEX, specifically how they are down significantly due to customers shopping elsewhere for a CC. I wonder if they will really want to play the game of weathering the storm and risk slipping more, causing more concern among investors as opposed to launching more significant rounds of perks/benefits to attract new customers and bring back older ones.

Amex has is niche and they are not about to panic worrying about the flavor of the month club.  That being said they did state that some changes are going to be made so we will just have to wait.

 

The 5x on airfare has made me change from CSR to Amex plat.  Also, their new alliance w/ American Airlines have resulted reduced airfare that you cannot get through travel sites and on their website but you need an Amex plat card personal or business to get that perk.


I fly American Airlines and have the plat. How do we get reduced airfare?

Message 7 of 59
ndjim75
Valued Member

Re: AMEX feeling the heat

Redpast,

What is this new alliance with AA? When you state you cant get the reduced airfare through "their" website, are you referring to AA website? Do you book the flight through Amex travel with the Platinum card to take advantage of this new alliance? what are all the benefits of this new alliance?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Message 8 of 59
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat


@Shep_634 wrote:
Did anyone else read the WSJ article this morning on AMEX vs competitors? I know that it has been a subject (rewards being better from other creditors) that has been talked about fairly frequently in forums/blogs, but this is the second or third time in the last few weeks that I have seen articles like this in major papers. The articles make it seem like AMEX is fairly confident about this year going forward... What are people's thoughts? Is Amex going to roll out some new stuff this year (rewards structure/ big sign on bonuses) or just AMEX being over confident?

I have my little Green Card and my Cap1 QS (I've never really wanted more than two cards because I am not really a rewards chaser until my expenses changed recently, hence the Green Card), but I was thinking about applying for an AMEX EDP; I am thinking about putting it off for awhile to see if AMEX tries some big Q1 promo to boost itself back up....

As a complete side note, am I the only 30yo that still reads a physical newspaper?!? Kid at the counter stared at me like I had 6 heads when I answered his question as to why I read the paper and not the news on my phone with "I prefer to not use my phone for everything" ...maybe my wife is right and I was born in the wrong generation 😂😂😂 (apologies for any typos...I do at least use my phone to post)

AmEX is on its own. What is the heat??

 

Message 9 of 59
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX feeling the heat

well hopefully all this competition will bring better products for everybody. Idon't think amex would have made 5x airline purchases if it weren't for CSR, so hopefully there will be better products for everybody. 



EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.