Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX maximum total credit limit

tag
WNA888
New Contributor

AMEX maximum total credit limit

With regards to AMEX, I read from a few posts on here and different forums that requesting a CLI over $24,500 on a card will prompt AMEX to ask for your tax documents, and that if you have multiple AMEX cards, $35,000 is the max total exposure before they will seek tax docs.  I'm just wondering if anyone here has any personal knowledge of whether this is true? 

I currently have 3 AMEX cards. I applied for the AMEX Everyday card on the same day it was release months ago, and it brought my total AMEX CL to exactly 35K.  So either it's a coincidence or there's some truths to what I read?  I want to apply for another amex credit card next month, but I don't want to submit any tax docs. 

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX maximum total credit limit

I am at $30k on my Hilton Honors card, and $4k on my BCE. I also have a business card at $8.4k. When I have requested as little as a $1k increase on my personal accounts Amex has requested access to my tax return.

for a new account you likely will see a reallocation from one of your other accounts. This happened to me when I opened the business account. The credit limit was original set at 19k or so with 10k coming from my Hilton Honors account. I was able to get them to move the limit back.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

Many have documented. The total is 40 percent of income. 

Message 3 of 12
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

I thought the 40% was maximum exposure, not the point that they ask for proof of income. Proof of income appears to be at the hard number of $35,000.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 12
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I have 33.4 on my BCE, no tax documents asked.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 5 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

It all depends on your relationship with AMEX and your income. You may hit the limit if you have only been a AMEX card holder for a year or two, but if you have had an AMEX card in your wallet for a decade or more with a solid history of spending multiple thousands of dollars per month and no payment issues, they probably won't request documents.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 12
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

I've been a customer for 20 years and I was still asked for tax docs when I requested a CLI that took me over $35k.

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 7 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@taxi818 wrote:

The 40% figure is per revolving account and is somewhat anecdotal.  As usual, YMMV, based on factors such as income and your internal score.  

My SO's roommate has a Delta Gold with a $35K CL.   To my knowledge, he's never submitted tax documents, but I believe he also has a very high AMEX internal score and I also believe that CL exceeds 40% of his income.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 12
WNA888
New Contributor

Okay, so from reading everyone's post here, it seems like the total cumulative maximum credit limit AMEX will give you is $35K before requesting prooof of income. 

Right now, I have 3 cards with AMEX with a $35K limit.  I'm going to apply for a new AMEX card soon, so should I call AMEX and request a CLD on one of my cards for let's say $2K, and then apply for a new card (and probably get a $2K CL) so I can increase my AAoA and get the sign up bonus?

I think requesting proof of income is really invasive. What happens if you refuse though? Do they shut all your cards down?

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 9 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@WNA888 wrote:

Okay, so from reading everyone's post here, it seems like the total cumulative maximum credit limit AMEX will give you is $35K before requesting prooof of income. 

Right now, I have 3 cards with AMEX with a $35K limit.  I'm going to apply for a new AMEX card soon, so should I call AMEX and request a CLD on one of my cards for let's say $2K, and then apply for a new card (and probably get a $2K CL) so I can increase my AAoA and get the sign up bonus?

I think requesting proof of income is really invasive. What happens if you refuse though? Do they shut all your cards down?

When you call and when they approve you if they say that they can't extend more credit you can simply reallocate CL. No need to CLD any of your cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.