Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX question

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX question

Technically, Amex reports the AU account to CR the date first opened. Once you were removed as AU then that card ceases to exist on your name. But the what is reported on the CR will remain for 10 years before it gets dropped off so it will still add to your age.
Message 11 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
Technically, Amex reports the AU account to CR the date first opened. Once you were removed as AU then that card ceases to exist on your name. But the what is reported on the CR will remain for 10 years before it gets dropped off so it will still add to your age.

What was being discussed here was the date first opened of an AU account being transferred to the AMEX accounts you hold in your own name. HTSU says that does happen. My question was what happens to the accounts you hold in your own name once the AU account is ended. Do you retain the opened date of the AU card you once had but do no longer or do you revert back to your own original opened date?
Message 12 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just to clarify, I meant that AmEx dates on one card transfer to all AmEx cards, but I was thinking more of "owned" AU cards. I don't know the exact mechanism for getting a date via AU, although I've read that it can be done.

It seems like I worked it out once for me that I could wheedle my husband into paying the annual fee on his corporate green card, making it report to his reports with a date from somewhere in the 80's, then add me to it as AU, then I'd get AmEx to assign that date to my own cards, then come off as AU on his card and cross my fingers. I decided that was way too much trouble, although I am occasionally tempted. Don't think I could stand the convincing needed to get him to pay a fee. (He knows nothing and cares less about AmEx rewards.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 18
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

OP, my advice take what ever you get from amex and leave it alone. Knowing Amex it can be very bizzare and dont want to get your self into AA and FR with Amex. Couple of months ago Amex pulled FR on me and I closed all 3 of my accounts. What ever you think you are getting from Amex it is not worth the headache and hassele you have to put up with. I understand your curiosity and how things works, you are playing with the fire and trying to get your self into trouble. I was advised by several on this forum to stay away from Amex and I did not listen and finally I ended up closing all my amex cards voluntarily, What ever it is worth take our advice.
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know. Last time they refused to give me a CLI because my score was lower than 750 (at least that's what they told me). I have excellent history and no baddies. The only thing that is bad - length of credit history (2.5 years). I thought if I could re-age my amex accounts to 4-5 years it would look a lot better
Message 15 of 18
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
OP, my advice take what ever you get from amex and leave it alone. Knowing Amex it can be very bizzare and dont want to get your self into AA and FR with Amex. Couple of months ago Amex pulled FR on me and I closed all 3 of my accounts. What ever you think you are getting from Amex it is not worth the headache and hassele you have to put up with. I understand your curiosity and how things works, you are playing with the fire and trying to get your self into trouble. I was advised by several on this forum to stay away from Amex and I did not listen and finally I ended up closing all my amex cards voluntarily, What ever it is worth take our advice.

Concorduser, didn't you just get a gold card?  I thought you decided to give amex another go.

Message 16 of 18
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:
Concorduser, didn't you just get a gold card?  I thought you decided to give amex another go.

Yes, I did get Gold Biz card couple of weeks ago and I upgraded it to Platinum Biz Card last week.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just called AMEX rep and he told me they can change the "member since" date to the date the oldest account was opened but they can not change the date opened for the particular account... does that mean they will not report the re-aged history to the CRA?
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.