Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX upgrade to Gold already??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX upgrade to Gold already??

So I have had my Green for a week, & just got an offer to get the Gold card today in the mail...

Is there a point to upgrading?  I can't seem to find any difference except for the higher AF.

**Edited to add: I think the Gold offer is just a mass mailing...so perhaps it would actually be bad to accept it this soon after the Green??

Message Edited by LizF on 01-26-2010 07:09 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX upgrade to Gold already??

you can just call and product change to gold, platinum, or zync. I would not apply for another charge and take a credit hit. 

Message 2 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They keep tweaking the goodies that come with Green vs Gold (rate of points accumulation, and so forth.)

You can lay out the current versions side-by-side and determine if one is better for you, and then whether you're OK with the fee. Since the Green is this new, you might be able to product change to the Gold and just have one account showing, but you would definitely need to untangle that with a CSR.

I had a Gold for 11 1/2 months (no fee first year), closed it, and opened a Blue credit card instead. I'm too cheap to pay fees! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the two side-by-side on their site using the comparison feature, the only difference I can see is that you get early access to music events, or something of that sort, with the gold...  That doesn't really mean anythin to me, so I think I'll probably just stay with the Green for now, unless the Gold somehow looks significantly better to finance co's, etc.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account reported to CR's does not indicate what type of account (Green, Gold, Plat).  It just indicates AMEX, open date, high balance, etc.  So as far as your CR is concerned, there is no difference.

Here is a comparison page:

http://www.americanexpress.com/lacidc/iccsite/compare_the_american_express_cards.shtml

Gold is supposed to have more comprehensive Travel insurance, misc travel services,  gold card events access, international companion fly for free, Hertz rental membership, etc.

If you don't travel alot, don't go to events, don't rent from Hertz, aren't needing to take a companion internationally, etc....then you probably don't need the Gold.

However, if you go to a single event per year, then having access to ticket 2-3 days early in the "preferred seating" sections is worth it.  Other AMEX cards can get you early access to tickets, but not to the preferred seating, meaning you have to go nose bleed.  So for popular or fast sell out events, this is nice to have.

As for the travel insurance, many cards now provide travel insurance.  I just filed a claim through USAA AMEX for trip cancellation due to sickness.

IMO  IME  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
manyquestions
Established Contributor

You could also go the other way and product change to Zync for a lower annual fee if you don't use the services that the green and gold give you.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might go that route...same rewards, right?  And would there be any negative results of 'downgrading'? (e.g., will they think I have less $? Smiley Wink )
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual fees give me hives Smiley Surprised. I love AMEX but would never pay them a dime for the use of their cards. Cancel your Green or Gold before the first year and pick up one of their free offerings; I have Blue Cash.........
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those will also help due to the fact that the limit gets reported, right?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.