Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
Niki9
Regular Contributor

AMEX

I had a green card a long time ago.

I closed it myself.

It still shows on my credit report as closed by consumer request.  Amex and I had a good relationship back then.  But I was young and then they were telling people to close their accounts that they were not using.

Anyhow .. All this is to ask do you think it would be better to ask to reopen my old account?

Would there be any benefit to this?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX

If you can reopen it and kep the history it would be great!!!
Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

complete good history from day one to the day you open it! x number of years of perfect history would be reason enough for me.
Message 3 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

definitely try to repopen it if you can.
Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will most likely not allow you to re-open.

BUT if you get another card from them they should report the original open date.
Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmm applied for the AMEX blue card earlier today, gave me some sorta error msg. Just got an email from them and i checked on app status and it says IN PROCESS. Hey thats better then all the other instant declines ive had with them, maybe a glimmer of hope???
Message 6 of 42
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Brent, When I applied for Delta, I got online message it is approved. I keep checking the app status for the last 4 days and I keep getting the in process. I guess Amex likes posting that message.
Message 7 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:

BUT if you get another card from them they should report the original open date.

I really wish I knew why some people get this and some don't.  I'm among the unlucky ones in that respect, as my Amex Green was opened in 1994, closed due to inactivity in 2004.  My Delta Skymiles shows Member Since 2007.

I'm happy for the folks who are getting some free history, but also a little jealous.

Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

Timothy wrote:

I really wish I knew why some people get this and some don't.  I'm among the unlucky ones in that respect, as my Amex Green was opened in 1994, closed due to inactivity in 2004.  My Delta Skymiles shows Member Since 2007.

I'm happy for the folks who are getting some free history, but also a little jealous.

call. i was an au on a company card years ago. i called and they were more than happy to search for my info. sadly, they couldn't find any, but they said if i had an old bill or the card number they would research it further. i never saw the bill and i quit the company back in 96, so i got nothin' to give amex to work with.
Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reviving this old thread just to update:

Called Amex to request they change my "Member Since" date to 1994, and also report my Skymiles account opened in 2007 as opened in 1994.

To my surprise, they said they would be happy to do this for me!

Unfortunately, they have no record of my previous account, and I also have no records to prove that I ever had it.  It does still appear on EX, and I offered to show them a copy of my CR to verify it, but htey said they needed an old statement, or at least the full card number from the old account.

I thought Amex was supposed to have a memory like an elephant.  I guess that only applies if you owe them money, not if your account was closed with a $0 balance.

A little frustrated by this.  They seem to be willing to work with me, but want some very specific things that I don't have.

Live and learn, I guess.

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.