Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX

tag
Chazman
Contributor

Re: AMEX

Geez!  That bumps my average age from 5 to 9 years!!  And, instead of the original Amex only reporting on Experian, the date will report on all 3 CRAs.  Will I rebucket on average age?

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

you very well could-

Chazman wrote:
Geez!  That bumps my average age from 5 to 9 years!!  And, instead of the original Amex only reporting on Experian, the date will report on all 3 CRAs.  Will I rebucket on average age?

Message 32 of 42
Chazman
Contributor

Well worth the temporary hit.  This is AWESOME!!!  Made my month!!. 

FICO Forums rocks - can't begin to tell you guys how helpful it's been - many, many thanks! 
Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chazman wrote:
Thanks Cheddar - I just got off the phone and, strangely, the card replacement rep told me she couldn't locate the original account, "but the CSR was able to."  Anyway, she said no prob with the switching the opened date on my Blue card from 2006, back to the original 8/87 date.  Said I'll receive the replacement Blue card (with the same acct#) in a couple of weeks)

Does that mean I just picked up 19 or so years of clean credit history on my Blue?

Congrats.

I'm gonna try that this evening. Last time I called the number on the back of the card, they could not find my old account. I still have my old card so I will try the backdoor # listed in the stickies this time.
Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

From a previous poster, even if they can't locate the account...

IF you have the card they will verify the account number from the card and the security code.

It should work.
Message 35 of 42
Chazman
Contributor

Rebucket Update (9/2): results of "changing" my AMEX "opened" date back from 1996 to 1987; oldest account jumped from 13+ to 21+ years, avg age jumped from 5 to 9+ years....

And my EQ FICO Score..drumroll please....fell 17 points.  Rebucketing at it's finest, I suppose, but good news is my FICO simulator target margins moved up 40 points across the board (low and high). 

Patience is a virtue Smiley Mad

Message 36 of 42
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Chazman wrote:

Rebucket Update (9/2): results of "changing" my AMEX "opened" date back from 1996 to 1987; oldest account jumped from 13+ to 21+ years, avg age jumped from 5 to 9+ years....

And my EQ FICO Score..drumroll please....fell 17 points.  Rebucketing at it's finest, I suppose, but good news is my FICO simulator target margins moved up 40 points across the board (low and high). 

A wonderful rebucketing story - get the mods to put it somewhere useful!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 37 of 42
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Chazman wrote:

A wonderful rebucketing story - get the mods to put it somewhere useful!
Err, where?

And Chazman, I feel your pain. Bad-tasting medicine! Smiley Tongue 15 points for me, and I needed every one of them at the time, but I like what the sims said. Certainly my scores are a lot higher than the mid-600's of the time, even though I've done some additional necessary destruction.

But this is certainly something to keep in mind when using the old account dates to help out your history. Helpful in the long run, but definitely at risk for initial explosions.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 38 of 42
Chazman
Contributor

Thanks Hauling...

This is like double taxation...you take the initial hit with new accounts to lower your utilization, and decrease avg age at the same time (another hit). Then, if/when "you throw the longball" and reset age/avg age back, you take another hit.  I know it's a long-term strategy, and it makes sense, but I'm guessing the "AMEX original date" scenario is not something that was foreseen by the algorithmic wizards at FICO.

Good news though...this is definitely a long-term play and, based on the new score sim, will begin paying off nicely even at 6 mos...well worth the short term aggravation...
Message 39 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome educational post. Sorry it hurt. I'm still confused whether it is 19+ or 20+ years for this bucket.
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.