Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOD Visa Signature - no "Tap to pay" ??

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AOD Visa Signature - no "Tap to pay" ??

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Yeah I just carry my cards with me.  I don't trust Apple or Google or whomever to keep my card data safe.  Go ahead, call me a luddite.  I work in IT.

I would suggest trying it sometime.   The ease of selecting the right card from a virtual wallet is worthwhile, and to my mind, physically safer than taking out a wallet and selecting a card.  You can also include rarely used cards that you might not have with you when you "need" them.

If Apple/Google/Samsung don't  keep the data safe, not very different from having someone take down the number of the card.  You have no liability.  And tokenized transactions are somewhat safer.

Plus, if it really was a widespread issue, I think you would have seen a lot more reports!   

But that's OK, I knew a lot of Luddites when I worked in IT: "Steam engine???  Never catch on, give me a good old horse and cart"

So, they're about that one horse-power life. That lone horse must have one heck of a workout regimen!

Message 11 of 24
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Live4Fishing wrote:

I received my AOD Visa Signature and I don't see the  ))) symbol for "Tap to Pay".   Tried to use Tap to Pay at Pet Supplies Plus and it didn't work.  I know they are a small CU... but I basically expect all new cards to have this feature at this point.   Anybody else experience this as well ??   

After all the effort it took to get this Unicorn I was a little disappointed it doesn't have it.  Not a big deal though... it's still an awesome card.   I may call them today to see when they will add this feature to their cards.

If your credit card doesn't have the symbol for tap'n'pay/NFC, then it won't work for tap'n'pay/NFC. You might be able to use (for example) Google Pay via NFC to do tap'n'pay via your smartphone for that credit card.

I am not familiar with your credit union, but you might be able to have Google Pay enabled by calling (via phone) your credit union to have it set up.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 850 Experian September 2024, 847 TransUnion September 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax September 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU Visa Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back Visa $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank Visa $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver Visa Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards Visa Platinum) $1500
Message 12 of 24
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

AOD may not be rolling in leading edge tech, but I'll take the current card just like it is... 3%, low interest and great CSRs!

I can vouch that it works fine in Samsung pay as well!

Ditto Smiley Happy On all points, including the Samsung Pay (and I believe I did it on Google pay too, but don't quote me).

Potential Future Cards

Closed Accounts
Message 13 of 24
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Alephbet wrote:

I just got my AOD Visa Signature last month. It does not have the tap to pay symbol on my card either and I have not tried that method. However, it does work just fine in Apple Pay and is now my default card. I would assume it would also work in other mobile payment systems as well.

Right. Just because it doesn't have the contactless feature, it doesn't mean it can't be used in a virtual/mobile wallet like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Google Pay, for instance. Some folks may be apprehensive on using those methods but the chip still works!

While it's a nice, secure and innovative feature for a variety of cards, I wouldn't 'expect' every credit or debit card to have the contactless feature. Plenty of major lenders and CUs alike that do not have it 🤷‍♂️

Right, personally I prefer always using my phone when possible (if that doesn't work, neither will contactless I assume), pulling out a card seems strange and perhaps risky.    And of course having all your cards only in your phone sets up a powerful single-point-of-failure for those that like to live on the edge!

Yeah I just carry my cards with me.  I don't trust Apple or Google or whomever to keep my card data safe.  Go ahead, call me a luddite.  I work in IT.

That said, I do have my cards in PayPal and I do payments through the app... so I guess that's a contradiction.  Been using PayPal for way longer than an iPhone though.

As for contactless, yeah it would be nice if all cards had it, but they don't.  My Chase Freedom Flex doesn't have it either.  I don't mind sticking the chip in the machine.  That means it won't get skimmed just by someone getting close to it.

Well, ours does have it so whenever you get a new card you will get it then I would assume. All our cards have that feature btw, but they are all recent as well as our oldest, BECU, was just replaced a month ago.

Message 14 of 24
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I will point out that on 3 occasions my Apple Pay charges got the card shut down. A call to CS to verify charges opened it back up though.

CS said Apple and Samsung and Google are a hotbed for fraud.

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 15 of 24
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Live4Fishing It sure is a Unicorn 🦄. Seems like mobile pay can do the trick.

Goal card:
Message 16 of 24
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Live4Fishing wrote:

I received my AOD Visa Signature and I don't see the  ))) symbol for "Tap to Pay".   Tried to use Tap to Pay at Pet Supplies Plus and it didn't work.  I know they are a small CU... but I basically expect all new cards to have this feature at this point.   Anybody else experience this as well ??   

After all the effort it took to get this Unicorn I was a little disappointed it doesn't have it.  Not a big deal though... it's still an awesome card.   I may call them today to see when they will add this feature to their cards.

If you didn't see the tap to pay symbol on the credit card, then you should not have expected tap to pay to work.

I am not familiar with whatever AOD is, but you wrote that it is a small credit union.

A credit union is owned by its members, and credit unions are expected to have lower expenses/costs compared to banks.

You should not expect a small credit union to have the latest and greatest tap to pay technology for its credit cards.

You might be able to use Google Pay or Apple Pay (Samsung Pay just emulates the magnetic stripe on a credit card) to do tap to pay with your smartphone. Call your credit union during their business hours to find out.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 850 Experian September 2024, 847 TransUnion September 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax September 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU Visa Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back Visa $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank Visa $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver Visa Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards Visa Platinum) $1500
Message 17 of 24
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I would suggest trying it sometime.   The ease of selecting the right card from a virtual wallet is worthwhile, and to my mind, physically safer than taking out a wallet and selecting a card.  You can also include rarely used cards that you might not have with you when you "need" them.

If Apple/Google/Samsung don't  keep the data safe, not very different from having someone take down the number of the card.  You have no liability.  And tokenized transactions are somewhat safer.

Plus, if it really was a widespread issue, I think you would have seen a lot more reports!   

But that's OK, I knew a lot of Luddites when I worked in IT: "Steam engine???  Never catch on, give me a good old horse and cart"

Yeah I suppose sometime in the near future it'll just be expected that everyone has their "cards" in their phone and nobody carries physical cards anymore.  I'm just not there yet.  I also carried a flip phone until 2016.

Message 18 of 24
Live4Fishing
Valued Member

@Gollum:

I wasn't "expecting" the Tap to Pay to work...  I was simply testing it to see if it would work.  I wasn't optimistic since I didn't see the symbol for it.

I'm quite familiar how credit unions work as I belong to several.  I've seen many smaller banks and CU's here in my state of MI that do have "Tap to Pay"...   so it's not a state of the art cutting technology anymore.  I was disappointed that this CU didn't have it... but it's not a big deal.  I'm sure they will add the technology eventually... and probably issue their cardholders new cards someday.  

AOD Visa Signature - 10K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards - 25K
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 18K
Capital One Savor One - 10K
Simmons Bank Visa Platinum - 7K
PenFed >PenFed Promise Visa - 5K
Chase Ultimate Rewards (AU) - 19K
Chase Ink Business Cash - 4K
Capital One Venture X - 30K
Message 19 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

You might be able to use Google Pay or Apple Pay (Samsung Pay just emulates the magnetic stripe on a credit card) to do tap to pay with your smartphone. Call your credit union during their business hours to find out.

Um no!   Samsung pay uses the same NFC approach as Google and Apple Pay.   In addition, on older phones, it may have the capability to use MLT, which does emulate the strip.   This is/was an advantage, allowing it to be used in places where NFC wasn't available.   However, this has been removed from the latest US versions of Samsung phones.

And, BTW, AOD is EXTREMELY well-known here, as the home of the 3% everywhere cashback card.  Lots of threads.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.