Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU without access

tag
bcdudley
Regular Contributor

AU without access

Can I add my wife as an AU to my credit cards and be 100% sure that she has no way of using them. I want to help her increase her score, but she is horrible with money and is very deserving of her 490 credit score. She is one of the people that believes if she has checks, she has money. She actually got a $300 secured card to try to help, then maxed it out and never paid a penny of it. 

I have tried to teach her how to manage her money better, but it just hasn't worked.  What I would like to do is help her for future purchases we make together, but I don't want it to come back and hurt me.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ740, EX695
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
anybodii
New Contributor

Re: AU without access

It normally depends on each bank, they all have their own rules, but the main purpose of an AU is that there's another person using the card, but yet you're liable for it. Just another way for them to make money, they want your wife to be added because although they wouldn't give her a card because they know she wouldn't pay them back, they know you will. Usually you can set a limit, I'd just set a very low limit, and never give her the card.

Message 2 of 20
bcdudley
Regular Contributor

If I don't give her the card, would she be able to request one from them, or be able to get the cc number to use online? The bank I am most concerned with is USAA because she also has an account with them and online access. 

I also have US Bank and Cap One.

Message 3 of 20
anybodii
New Contributor

I'm not sure, I would ask them first, I would think not. I know with CITI you can choose to allow online access or not. I haven't really looked into it anywhere else. If anything, give her a small limit and charge a bill to it yourself so she can't use it. I'm sure you can limit her though.

Message 4 of 20
bcdudley
Regular Contributor

I will call them in the morning and find out.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 20
anybodii
New Contributor

No problem, if you would post the information you find out, it would be helpful to know

Message 6 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

You can request a Cap1 AU card online.  You have to know her basic personal information, but she is not required to authorize it, only you.   Read the agreement, the AU has no authority to the account.   They can only use the card.   So if you don't give her the card or number, she can't use it.   But the account will be on her Credit Report.

Note the card will have the same number as yours, only her name on it.

Message 7 of 20
daylove
Regular Contributor

@bcdudley wrote:

If I don't give her the card, would she be able to request one from them, or be able to get the cc number to use online? The bank I am most concerned with is USAA because she also has an account with them and online access. 

I also have US Bank and Cap One.

She cannot..only the primary account holder can request the card.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea and if you don't allow her access to customer service at all you're safe...  maybe put a few charges on it occasionally that you'd normally make and pay them off if you want to help her out. Or just destroy the card upon arrival but it won't build her history with the creditor. If it's adding age and her credit is dismal I wouldn't expect a huge immediate increase but ymmv... jmho

Message 9 of 20
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

If you want to help her by adding her then do so when the card arrives feed it to the shredder......... twice

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.