Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed for New Card App

tag
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Advice Needed for New Card App

So, I have been gardening for over a year to improve my FICO scores.

As of now my stats are as follows:

TU - 670

EQ - 654

EX - ???

CAP One - 500 CL

CAP One - 1000 CL

Salary - 80k

My current utilization is 26%.  My goal is to lower it less than 10% before applying anywhere.

I have tried multiple times for CLI from Cap One, however they refuse to budge.  The CSR explained that my card is not elligable for uprgrades or CLI.

Anyways, I really want to get my foot in the door with a prime lender (AMEX, Chase, Discover).  I have a pre-qualify notice from AMEX for the Delta Gold card, but this may be b/c I fly with Delta not so much b/c of my scores.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

My question is, who do I have the best shot of getting my foot in the door with?  I would love a card that actually carries some rewards and benefits (ideally cash or hotel rewards as a I travel a lot for work).

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
lylesvegas
Contributor

Re: Advice Needed for New Card App

I got approved for Discover with a 649 fico.......

Amex BCE...Amex ED...Barclay WMC...Priceline Rewards Visa...Cap One Venture...Total Rewards Visa...Wells Fargo Visa...Discover IT...Pay Pal Smart Connect...Overstock Store Card...Lowe's Store Card

Message 2 of 17
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

If you dont mind my asking, how was their credit limit?

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

What baddies are on your reports?  Your scores may get you a number of cards, but the number, type, and age of baddies may hold you back from certain lenders. Maybe that information can help avoid unnecessary inquiries. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 17
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

I have one charge off from 2006 for $331 and one 120 late for a power company (have attempted to get this removed numerous times).  My AAoA is 7 years and I have had 0 INQ in the past year.

Message 5 of 17
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@icetrap06 wrote:

I have one charge off from 2006 for $331 and one 120 late for a power company (have attempted to get this removed numerous times).  My AAoA is 7 years and I have had 0 INQ in the past year.

they can still see inq's past a year they just dont effect score (and will fall off after 2 years) 

are those scores from here? 

if you pay off the balances too about 4% your score should see a nice bump. 

for me at least right now i have reporting 20% from the 4 i had last month and my score tanked about 35 points. (also went from 1 card reporting too 4- and 2 of them appear maxed out)

with 7 years of aaoa though id suggest a chase freedom after you pay down your cards. and possibly add too your secured card. (if they dont pull too add a deposit) 

from what i here they are good with recon once you talk to a live person. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 17
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Great info!!...The scores are from here (last pulled at the beginning of December).

Message 7 of 17
lylesvegas
Contributor

2000 $ to start....

Amex BCE...Amex ED...Barclay WMC...Priceline Rewards Visa...Cap One Venture...Total Rewards Visa...Wells Fargo Visa...Discover IT...Pay Pal Smart Connect...Overstock Store Card...Lowe's Store Card

Message 8 of 17
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Thanks Vegas!

Message 9 of 17
lylesvegas
Contributor

No prob....Just go ahead an app now.......let me know how it goes....

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.