cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altitude reserve upgrade sub timer question

tag
hkstyle

Altitude reserve upgrade sub timer question

Hello! I’m a bit confused on how to maximize the length of time to hit the SUB after upgrading.
Does the counter start once I make the switch?
Or would it be better if I switch a few months before, on, or after my anniversary date of when the card was first opened? (December 1st). Thank you all!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Altitude reserve upgrade sub timer question

@hkstyle wrote:

Hello! I’m a bit confused on how to maximize the length of time to hit the SUB after upgrading.
Does the counter start once I make the switch?
Or would it be better if I switch a few months before, on, or after my anniversary date of when the card was first opened? (December 1st). Thank you all!

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking?  It sounds like you are doing a product change from the Altitude Go to the Reserve?  Typically you don't get a Welcome Bonus with a PC.  Are you sure you'll be offered one?  If you happen to qualify for the Welcome Bonus, I'm pretty sure the clock starts the day you are approved.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that is what he is asking..  You do not get welcome bonuses on PC's.  Although whether it has been fixed or not PC's to the AR was allowing many to get welcome bonus i it still does I have no clue.   I only can imagine that is what they are asking.  If it does still work I have no idea if it is immediate on PC or takes days or statement cut before you can go after the 4500 spending or whatever it is to hit bonus.

08 Scores - TU: 839 - EXP:839 - EQ:838
Message 3 of 11
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

Are the reserve points the same as the connect points? You can get 50,000 connect points for $3000 spend and no af, vs. 50,000 points for $4500 spend and $400 fee with reserve.

Message 4 of 11
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@FicoMike0 wrote:

Are the reserve points the same as the connect points? You can get 50,000 connect points for $3000 spend and no af, vs. 50,000 points for $4500 spend and $400 fee with reserve.

Altitude Connect and Altitude Go points can be combined.  Altitude Reserve points are kept separate with different redemption values.

Sept 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 37 yrs | AoYRA: less than 1 yr | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 5 of 11
hkstyle

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I believe that is what he is asking..  You do not get welcome bonuses on PC's.  Although whether it has been fixed or not PC's to the AR was allowing many to get welcome bonus i it still does I have no clue.   I only can imagine that is what they are asking.  If it does still work I have no idea if it is immediate on PC or takes days or statement cut before you can go after the 4500 spending or whatever it is to hit bonus.

Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about, since I've heard there was a SUB loophole for upgrading to the altitude reserve. Just seeing if anyone has done this here that can share their experience

Message 6 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@hkstyle wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about, since I've heard there was a SUB loophole for upgrading to the altitude reserve. Just seeing if anyone has done this here that can share their experience

You are not supposed to receive SUB for a PC. Anyway, it is either glitch or bug and some users seem to receive SUB after PC. After the PC request, some users received the SUB letter by mail and some not. Some users could see the SUB tracking online and some not. It is a blind shot and you may or may not receive SUB. There is no way to complain if you do not receive the SUB.

The IT department of US Bank looks to be an "Ali Baba's cave" Smiley Happy. I still have not received the missing 2x digital wallt points since January.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 7 of 11
SpaethCo
Valued Member

@xenon3030 wrote:
Anyway, it is either glitch or bug and some users seem to receive SUB after PC.

According to folks I know that work at US Bank this is not a glitch. (In fairness, these are infra IT folks and may not be in the best position to know the specifics)

With banks like Citi and Chase you have a lot of latitude to change to a wide variety of cards at any time. US Bank operates closer to Capital One in that the default position is that you cannot product change any card. Marketing is able to run promotions to offer upgrades to different card products, and those promotions can either be offered to all holders of specific cards or they can be more targeted. Since these are marketing promo offers, sometimes there can be incentives attached such as a bonus on upgrade. This effectively operates very similarly to how Amex will float upgrade offers on various accounts, like if you hold the Gold card you can get an offer to upgrade to the Platinum card and spend $5k to get 100k MR points.

So there's no magic around timing it near the annual renewal of the card you want to product change from or anything like that with US Bank. It's all about what promos the marketing department is offering at the time you call to ask.

Message 8 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@SpaethCo wrote:

US Bank operates closer to Capital One in that the default position is that you cannot product change any card.

So there's no magic around timing it near the annual renewal of the card you want to product change from or anything like that with US Bank. It's all about what promos the marketing department is offering at the time you call to ask.

It is possible to PC cards at US Bank. I did it several times.

If you call US Bank and ask to PC a card to AR and ask for SUB, they would clearly tell that such PC does not qualify for SUB. So, it is less likely that it is planned by any department, while it looks to be a bug, glitch or something similar. Not sure who you spoke to at US Bank while possibly not talked to the correct department. This issue exists only for around a year and the loophole might get closed at some points.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 9 of 11
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Timely question, I was considering the possibility of doing a Cash+ to AR pc in the near future, but have had the same curiosity about the whole sub issue. While I've seen multiple posts in the past of those getting the sub tracker to show and/or being eligible for the bonus, there's enough dp's to show that is not consistent.

So I called in hoping to clarify this a bit more, and to clarify what USB considers to be an "offer", which is the term they use to indicate a product change is available per each card account you have. In my case I have the offer to switch to an AR on one Cash+ (the one with a 20k cl) and my GO. The rep checked in with her supervisor and came back with an emphatic "no", saying upgrade offers do not qualify for the sub. Of course this is just a front line person checking with a front line manager, so this info is neither here or there.

Not sure I want to risk missing out on the sub, but may be worth the risk for someone who wants the benefits of the AR and mobile wallet earning, without opening a new account. When our Chase CSR priority pass restaurant benefit expires, I'll want a new option to fill that gap, and can use real time rewards to redeem via United Travelbank purchases, making the 3x mobile wallet a 4.5x earner. Gonna have to chew on this one a bit.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.