cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card (Promise this will be my last thread for a while)

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Amazon Store Card (Promise this will be my last thread for a while)

So I was wondering what would be the harm if I went for this?

Would I get it?  (12 Inq on TU)

Would opening this freak out Discover, especially if my HSBC/BB reports.  There are awesome deals here, and I'd love to round my collection out with a 4th and final card, one GOOD retail card.  Then I'd have Visa/MC/Discover and a Store Card, all with lenders that grow and give healthy CLs.

Thanks.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Re: Amazon Store Card (Promise this will be my last thread for a while)

I like this card. It's my favorite store card. They approved me for my highest CL at the time with a 7months of credit history and 670 fico for $3200  but most other people were getting CLs in the $1500-2000 range. They gave me a CLI after the 5th ot 6th statement (I requested it) to $3600.

For a while they only offered their standard 6 months financing on any purchase > $150 but now it seems they have quite a few deals.

You should get approved with your scores but CL varies, it will grow though.

Message 2 of 13
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

If you use Amazon often, go for it.  I love having this card.  I do not have a substantial CL ($750.00), but at least they have started giving me CLIs over the past years, and because I shop on A.com every month, it is great for me to have this card.  They also ofer coupon codes every now and again. 

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 3 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

So I was wondering what would be the harm if I went for this?

Would I get it?  (12 Inq on TU)

Would opening this freak out Discover, especially if my HSBC/BB reports.  There are awesome deals here, and I'd love to round my collection out with a 4th and final card, one GOOD retail card.  Then I'd have Visa/MC/Discover and a Store Card, all with lenders that grow and give healthy CLs.

Thanks.

EQ: 745 (Jan '10) FICO | EX: 755 (PSECU FICO) | TU: 762 (Jan '10) FICO
BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa ($2,500), Citi Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard($2,200), Discover More ($1,500)
No applying until 2012!

Follow your own advice.  Amazon will still be there next year. 

(No idea how Discover will react, but I figured you'd get enough people telling you to go for it.)

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
smc733
Valued Contributor

Gah, I know!  I'm terrible with this.  I have a bunch of inquiries from Feb-July of last year, I might let them all drop off (past 1 year I mean), and apply late July/Early August.  I was going to go Amex with either Blue Cash or Zync, but do I really need/use a fourth card in addition to the three I have (with better rewards systems)?

I have been moving most of my shopping online, so I suppose if I get the GEMB/Amazon card, it should see a LOT of activity.

I'll be waiting on what HSBC does (I'm told they won't report)

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 13
smc733
Valued Contributor

So I think I've developed the perfect plan.

In August I'll have only a few inqs, at which point I'll apply for this card, then in December, I'll go for the HSBC/BB, hopefully to get Program A!

3 Bank Cards/2 Store Cards, perfect diverse wallet!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of credit score do you need to be approved for Amazon.com.  I use that site a lot and wanted to see what the credit score needs to be in order to be approved.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 13
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What type of credit score do you need to be approved for Amazon.com.  I use that site a lot and wanted to see what the credit score needs to be in order to be approved.  Thanks.

I got approved 3 years aog with a TU score of about 600 or so.   I love Amazon - gets the most use of all my cards.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 13
smc733
Valued Contributor

GEMB is pretty easy for approvals.  Even if they start with low CLs, they generally grow to some nice 4 figure limits (in some cases 5)

Message 9 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

So I think I've developed the perfect plan.

In August I'll have only a few inqs, at which point I'll apply for this card, then in December, I'll go for the HSBC/BB, hopefully to get Program A!

3 Bank Cards/2 Store Cards, perfect diverse wallet!

A roster without both local/ regional bank AND CU representation is not sufficiently diversified YMMV.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.