Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card vs Amazon Rewards Visa Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Store Card vs Amazon Rewards Visa Card

Why does Amazon offer two different kind of credit cards? I noticed that Overstock does this too but the only benefit that I see with the store card over the Visa card is the financing. Otherwise, I get $50 gift card offer for the Visa card vs $40 for the store card and 3% Amazon 2% gas, restaurant, and drugstore on points vs none for the store card.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amazon Store Card vs Amazon Rewards Visa Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does Amazon offer two different kind of credit cards? I noticed that Overstock does this too but the only benefit that I see with the store card over the Visa card is the financing. Otherwise, I get $50 gift card offer for the Visa card vs $40 for the store card and 3% Amazon 2% gas, restaurant, and drugstore on points vs none for the store card.

I had them both, but I recently closed the store card. I couldn't see myself ever using it again while having the Amazon Rewards card as well, 3% cash back beats 0% cash back. They started me with a $600 credit line, after about five months they only bumped it up to $800. I called and asked for a CLI up to 3,000, when they denied me I closed the account.

If you're only going to get one then you should definitely choose the Rewards card.

Message 2 of 17
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Amazon Visa actually gives you $70, don't accept the $50 offer. Keep refreshing your cart until you see the $70 offer. 

Message 3 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amazon.com Store card issued by Sync Bank

Amazon.com Visa Card issued by Chase

Really the only reason to get the store card is the 0% offers on larger purchases or if you don't qualify for the visa as the store card is pretty easy to obtain with low 600 credit scores.

I now have both as I'm obsessed with Amazon and we do AmazonFresh here in SoCal so MUCH money is spent at Amazon and it's been like my long time dream for the Amazon Visa and couldn't get it for the longest time but now have it.... I was approved for the Store card before the visa card and I keep both!

Message 4 of 17
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I have and enjoy both. Got the Chase Visa with an initial limit of 4,000 and it was a Visa Signature. Had about 6 months of credit history. That was last year. I fairly recently got the store version. About four months ago. I guess I hustled backwards. LOL

Then I have the Discover and TYP which also accumulate points to spend on Amazon, albeit at lower redemption rates for the TYP. I live on Amazon so every card I get which allows me to save on there is extra special to me. In the future, I'll definitely shoot for the Sallie Mae.

Message 5 of 17
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had them both, but I recently closed the store card. I couldn't see myself ever using it again while having the Amazon Rewards card as well, 3% cash back beats 0% cash back. They started me with a $600 credit line, after about five months they only bumped it up to $800. I called and asked for a CLI up to 3,000, when they denied me I closed the account.

If you're only going to get one then you should definitely choose the Rewards card.

I prefer the SallieMae MasterCard, because 5% beats 3%.

But for the first $2000 spending per year, the US Bank Cash+ is king. 5% cash back, plus $25 if you wait and redeem $100 or more at one time. That can be as much as 6.25% cash back, which beats 5%.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I prefer the SallieMae MasterCard, because 5% beats 3%.

But for the first $2000 spending per year, the US Bank Cash+ is king. 5% cash back, plus $25 if you wait and redeem $100 or more at one time. That can be as much as 6.25% cash back, which beats 5%.

And for those still with the Citi 5x, no caps!   (And if you also have the prestige, then Amazon purchases give you 8c per $ for tickets on AA).

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between the two, I prefer Chase Amazon rewards card more since I don't make a big purchase where I can't pay in full. My preferred Amazon credit card is the Sallie Mae.

Message 8 of 17
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

You'll notice that a lot of merchants offer a store version and then one connected with a major CC network. I have the Amazon store card but hope to get the Chaze Amazon  one day soon.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 9 of 17
elim
Senior Contributor

you can only use the store card at amazon.

Amazon Visa was my "in" with chase with 660 scores

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.