cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think I can upgrade to a Cap 1 Venture Card?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Think I can upgrade to a Cap 1 Venture Card?

I have two Cap 1 cards. It's time for me to contact them to see about getting a CLI on the card that doesn't get rewards. My Rewads card went from $4500. to $6k earlier this year so I think I should be able to do the same with my other card. I'm also going to ask about getting that card upgraded to a Venture Card. They have two avaialble and both are listed for excellant credit. When I view their requirements it says -

These are only guidelines to help you narrow your selection, and additional factors from your application and credit history will also be considered. You may meet these criteria and still be declined. Please review the product disclosures on the card application for additional information about eligibility.

Excellent Credit
Do BOTH of these describe you?
I have never declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a loan. I have not been more than 60 days late on any credit card, medical bill, or loan in the last year.

- AND -
I have had a loan or credit card for 3 years or more with a credit limit above $5,000

Average Credit
Do EITHER of these describe you?
I have defaulted on a loan in the past 5 years

- OR -
I have limited credit history. I've had my own credit card or other credit for less than 3 years (including students, people new to the U.S., or authorized users on someone else's credit card).

I don't fall into what they consider average credit and I'm not totally what they consider excellant credit. I have a BK that was discharged at the beginning of 2010. Everything else is older. Current credit lines and scores are in my signiture. Do you think I might be able to convert over to this one? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Think I can upgrade to a Cap 1 Venture Card?

Good luck. They wouldn't give me the time of day for V1 to V2, with lame reasons that fit a profile I had many years ago with their AF cash rewards green, like they never forgot where I came from. Then again, I spout off at them on their FB page all the time about how they suck, so I'm sure I'm flagged. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

One of the requirements:

..."I have never declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a loan".

The word never would rule outs lots of people including me.

Message 3 of 26
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

One of the requirements:

..."I have never declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a loan".

The word never would rule outs lots of people including me.

If you want a good laugh, go read the comments posted to their FB page, about the AF $300-500 version group complaining about the 1.5% card, in comparison to Citi's 2%, and why Cap's not doing the same.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

you should be able to, since you're just changing rewards structure. "no hassle rewards" as they call it. I was able to change my quicksilver one to venture one. and I'm nowhere near "excellent credit". Let's face it, not many people with excellent credit will apply for capital one. Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 26
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

They won't let you PC to the Venture card, but it doesnt hurt to try. I just had to app for it. I'm actually happy i wasn't allowed to PC to it. I would have missed out on the signup bonus.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

They won't let you PC to the Venture card, but it doesnt hurt to try. I just had to app for it. I'm actually happy i wasn't allowed to PC to it. I would have missed out on the signup bonus.

+1 I tried with EO and they just wouldnt budge..

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied I had scores similar to yours along with a tax lien and one collection.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, there are so many better cards out there as opposed to the Venture card.. Granted, if you're hell bent on staying with Cap one then try for it.. but, if you can "venture" out (Pun intended!) then i would look elsewhere

Message 9 of 26
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Better cards with an AF as low as the Venture?...
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.