Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Gold

Happy New Year.
Reestablished my credit about 2 years ago.
Was around 650 last year.
All 3 scores have me around 750-760.
My fico 8 is around 730.
Score jumped up the last 8 months to a year, by 100 points.
Not sure how, but it did.
Anyway I received an RSVP to grab the American Express Gold card.
I want the platinum but am told the only way to get that one, is to have the Gold card first.
Also read you'll never get the Black card unless you're invited.
I do not make enough money to ever be invited to get the black card, however I would like to move up to the platinum.
That's the first question, is all that true?
Second question
Is the RSVP invite number a pre qualification?
I have zero credit card debt as of today and only hold 3 cards.
I am very funny about doing anything, because it took me so long to fix the credit mess I was in. Trying to be responsible, but really want that platinum at some point.
To close out, is the Gold card better than the American express blue, which I absolutely love.
Thanks for any guidance.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express Gold

No, you do not have to have the gold card first before getting the platinum card. If platinum is the one you want then go for that one. IMO platinum is the easiest to get of the two.
Message 2 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Unless you plan to do a lot of traveling, the Platinum is not worth it. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Happy New Year.
Reestablished my credit about 2 years ago.
Was around 650 last year.
All 3 scores have me around 750-760.
My fico 8 is around 730.
Score jumped up the last 8 months to a year, by 100 points.
Not sure how, but it did.
Anyway I received an RSVP to grab the American Express Gold card.
I want the platinum but am told the only way to get that one, is to have the Gold card first.
Also read you'll never get the Black card unless you're invited.
I do not make enough money to ever be invited to get the black card, however I would like to move up to the platinum.
That's the first question, is all that true?
Second question
Is the RSVP invite number a pre qualification?
I have zero credit card debt as of today and only hold 3 cards.
I am very funny about doing anything, because it took me so long to fix the credit mess I was in. Trying to be responsible, but really want that platinum at some point.
To close out, is the Gold card better than the American express blue, which I absolutely love.
Thanks for any guidance.

One can most very definitely be approved for an Amex Platinum card without ever had another Amex card before.  

That being said, you really need to examine the annual and the benefits.  

Depending on one’s circumstances, Amex Platinum could be an incredible value or a complete waste of money.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, it all depends upon your spending category. On which card is better suited to you. 

I will say that I have had the Gold for just over a year, and have been getting several upgrade offers for 60K MRs. I've actually been preapproved for it for longer than I've even had the Gold.

So if you value MRs, the potential to earn more is there by apping the Gold first. Then just waiting for an offer, that will also give you time to test how the Gold works for you. Because if Platinum doesn't suit you, you don't get an offer to downgrade.

Message 5 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

1 - You do not need a Gold Card, or any specific card, to get a Platinum Card. You should easily qualify for either, given the info you included in your post.

2 - Platinum is not "better" than Gold. Rather, it is better for certain uses, while Gold is better for other uses. Some people think it's worth having both, because their benefits don't overlap very much. Gold is very rewarding for accumulating points for either dining out, or buying groceries. Platinum is largely about hotel status and lounge access, and paying for travel.

3 - With either Gold or Platinum, you should read up a bit on what to do with Member Reward points (MRs), which is the currency that Amex gives you for using these cards. Generally speaking, they are best used for travel. They are not easy to convert to cash for a good value.

Let us know what you decided to do. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 6 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I can tell you,

I got the Gold card in the 1980's and I sure as heck did not even know what a Platinum was back then.Smiley Very Happy

You got some really good answers upthread.

Message 7 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

With your scores, you will have zero issues being approved for Gold or Platinum. The key as others mentioned is to get the card that best fits your spend and lifestyle as they are very different cards. For some of us, both make sense. The other important thing is that when you decide to get one (or both), make sure you do research and find the best Welcome Offer available for the card, as they can be earned once in a lifetime. You don’t want a 50k Membership Rewards offer if there is a 100k offer available.

As for “black,” there have been no known offers within the credit enthusiast community extended for the personal Centurion Card in the past few years, even for those regularly spending many hundreds of thousands or more per year. There have been a few known offers for the business Centurion Card. It is correct that the card is by invitation only, and they are not very common. I’ve personally seen a few, but even most celebrities and athletes that have these cards are authorized users on their agent’s card and are not primary cardholders.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If platinum is what you really want then go for it. But wait for a 100k offer. Not need to get a Gold card first. However the Gold card is a work horse. I accumulate 4-7k MR points a month on groceries and restaurants alone. I don't travel enough for the platinum currently. But I do have the Hilton Aspire which gives me Prioty Pass and other top tier statuses! Good luck!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you me?  Smiley Happy  You might want to apply for the Platinum, first, before going for the Gold in case you decide you either want both or only the Platinum at a later date within twelve months of having been approved for the Gold.  AMEX approved me for Gold in August 2019 with a FICO score 670 only to read in the community that I was likely eligible for the Platinum, which I wanted even more than the Gold given my weekly corporate travel. 

AMEX denied me for the Platinum and the recon call advised a wait period of six- to twelve-moths before applying again.  I wrote a letter to AMEX requesting a reconsideration given that I was AZEO with a FICO just above 700, but AMEX instantly shot back a curt denial letter. 

I check the pre-approval page on my account every week, but no luck.  I've been pre-approved for months to get the AMEX Hilton Aspire, Bonvoy Brilliant, and Delta Reserve, but I really want the Platinum for the lounge access in addition to the Gold for groceries and restaurants.

The waiting period has been frustrating, but it'll get ten-times worse once I start showing pre-approved while waiting for the 100K MR offer to someday arrive in the mail in lieu of accepting the 60K MR offer.

I regret not having applied for the Platinum, first, as the stars were aligned on the night I was approved for both AMEX Gold and Discover.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.