cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

Hey guys I have a question. On 4/22/2011 (last month) I applied for a Zync card and got approved right away. I got  an alert from my credit score stating that Amex had pulled a hard inquiry in my profile which was fine with me.

However when I pulled my report with all the detailed transactions 2 days ago, I noticed that American Express pulled a hard inquiry on all  three credit bureaus. This caused my score to drop alot of points Smiley Sad

Is this a normal procedure for American Express credit cards? This is my first AMEX product so im not sure how the inquiries work.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Inquiry Question (Zync Card)

I've read in the past where AMEX would pull the other two CRA if they weren't thrilled with what they saw on EX..... BTW congrats on the approval!!

Message 2 of 8
daytrade5
Contributor

Only pulled EX for my Zync. I thought Cap 1 was the only one that did pulls on all three reports, which is pretty pointless since they only give on average a $500 limit anyway. Lol.

Message 3 of 8
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I just got approved for green and they only pulled EX.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 8
smc733
Valued Contributor

@mrmagic9799 wrote:

I've read in the past where AMEX would pull the other two CRA if they weren't thrilled with what they saw on EX..... BTW congrats on the approval!!

Exactly this.  If they can go either way on you based on EX, they will pull the other two.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well. I cant do much about it. This was a couple weeks ago but I just recently noticed the three pulls. I guess im ok with it in a way, I mean im still in college with a Discover, Amex Zync and a Fith Third Bank Card. I guess it will help me in the future after I graduate. 

Message 6 of 8
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys I have a question. On 4/22/2011 (last month) I applied for a Zync card and got approved right away. I got  an alert from my credit score stating that Amex had pulled a hard inquiry in my profile which was fine with me.

However when I pulled my report with all the detailed transactions 2 days ago, I noticed that American Express pulled a hard inquiry on all  three credit bureaus. This caused my score to drop alot of points Smiley Sad

Is this a normal procedure for American Express credit cards? This is my first AMEX product so im not sure how the inquiries work.

I think that one pull on each bureau would only affect each bureau as seeing one inquiry, if that makes sense. For example, if they pull EQ, then EQ sees 1 inquiry and the other two see nothing. If they pull TU, then TU sees that inquiry and EQ/EX don't see the inq on TU.  So if my thinking is correct, 1 pull for each would only affect that bureau and it wouldn't be seen as 3 inqs on each.

Message 7 of 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@MS00000000 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think that one pull on each bureau would only affect each bureau as seeing one inquiry, if that makes sense. For example, if they pull EQ, then EQ sees 1 inquiry and the other two see nothing. If they pull TU, then TU sees that inquiry and EQ/EX don't see the inq on TU.  So if my thinking is correct, 1 pull for each would only affect that bureau and it wouldn't be seen as 3 inqs on each.

+1.  With the assumption this is your first AMEX, the significant score decrease indicated was likely due to the change in your AAoA, and not the inquiry.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.