Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Optio Card ?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express Optio Card ?

@LittleSal wrote:
If it is invite only, would AMEX base decisions on Platinum Card spend or all Amex cards?

I know it’s speculation but just curious to opinions.

@Revelate brings up some good points. 

And, since it's all rumors and nothing has been confirmed, it's still unclear whether it's going to be targeted or available to the masses.  If it's going to be offered via the invite route, I would imagine part of the criteria would be based on charge card spending such as Platinum, for instance.  Again, no one knows and it's all speculation at the moment. 

When I received an invite for the Centurion biz years and years ago (didn't take it) it was largely known that some of the criteria was based on the spend on the Platinum biz (>$250K annually).  That said, the criteria, spend, etc., was more strict for obtaining an invite for the Centurion personal version. 

Message 31 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@LittleSal wrote:
If it is invite only, would AMEX base decisions on Platinum Card spend or all Amex cards?

And, since it's all rumors and nothing has been confirmed, it's still unclear whether it's going to be targeted or available to the masses.  If it's going to be offered via the invite route, I would imagine part of the criteria would be based on charge card spending such as Platinum, for instance.  Again, no one knows and it's all speculation at the moment. 

When I received an invite for the Centurion biz years and years ago (didn't take it) it was largely known that some of the criteria was based on the spend on the Platinum biz (>$250K annually).  That said, the criteria, spend, etc., was more strict for obtaining an invite for the Centurion personal version. 

Curious but what benefits does invite only really give Amex?  I get the exclusivity aspect of it but...

1) Not open for bonus chasers?

2) Some amount of spend on Amex cards ($$ for Amex) before you're worthy enough?

Seems like a missed opportunity, though I know I was in a minority that when denied for a CSR I just PC'd to it anyway... if someone creates a better card for me than said CSR and that is possible currently, why wouldn't I take it?  But a two step through a Plat, meh.  Lot of effort for a maybe.

        
Message 32 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LittleSal wrote:

I think it would be highly dependent on what they actually include. Some Centurion perks are covered by spend and others by fee. Believe me, if you spend enough in a high-end store to justify a personal shopper, they'll give you one regardless of the card you use. 

As we all know, the Platinum card isn't a very hard card to get.

Message 33 of 52
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Yes. I’m thinking since AMEX gave the Platinum to everybody, they might reel it in with this new card and make it more exclusive.

If it’s even released. 😉
Message 34 of 52
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@LittleSal wrote:

Curious but what benefits does invite only really give Amex?  I get the exclusivity aspect of it but...

2) Some amount of spend on Amex cards ($$ for Amex) before you're worthy enough?

Seems like a missed opportunity, though I know I was in a minority that when denied for a CSR I just PC'd to it anyway... if someone creates a better card for me than said CSR and that is possible currently, why wouldn't I take it?  But a two step through a Plat, meh.  Lot of effort for a maybe.

Good point Rev. 

I can see the Centurion versions being more of a niche setoof products and therefore with more selective criteria.  And, it's fairly possible that if they release the Optio to a limited or targeted audience it'll provide them some metrics on the response rate and viability before it's launched to the public, but who knows. 

Message 35 of 52
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@LittleSal wrote:

Pretty sure it's all about the image. While we know better on here, most people think an amex is high end and exclusive. Actually having a card that promotes that image would help distract people from the truth.

Message 36 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if they'd test market different versions.

I've noticed two Amex cards in Canada that are different from their usual offerings. The Cobalt Card has a $10 monthly fee and pays 5X MR on restaurants and 2X on travel. And the Everyday Essentials is no rewards, no annual fee and 12.99% interest - it used to be 8.99%. I have one of those with a $15,000 limit that's never had a single purchase on it. I think the only use it ever has was a $500 cash advance I needed to cover a cheque a day or two before a deposit.

Message 37 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Pity that cobalt card wasn’t in the US.

BBP + Cobalt + Plat = bye Chase for me probably easily looking at last years spend.

Geez maybe for most people it was 5x groceries too but I suppose that would have killed the PRG.

ETA: oh they weren’t full MR points anyway. Ah well one can fantasize!

        
Message 38 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you take a little trip over to the Amex approved list of manufacturers, and which cards they are allowed to manufacture (as updated last week), and scroll down to page 51 of 65, you will see two interesting placeholders (no images yet) for the US market:

- Titanium (which is not the same as Plat Charge Metal 2018)

- Black Charge Metal 2020 (which is not the same as Centurion 2020)

One of these (probably the Black Charge Metal 2020) could well be your Optio.  No doubt at some stage they'll unembargo the news and release images of these two new cards.  

You heard it here first - enjoy!

Source: https://network.americanexpress.com/globalnetwork/dam/jcr:468d977a-eb34-44ea-b950-ffb675599292/Certi...

Message 39 of 52
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you take a little trip over to the Amex approved list of manufacturers, and which cards they are allowed to manufacture (as updated last week), and scroll down to page 51 of 65, you will see two interesting placeholders (no images yet) for the US market:

- Titanium (which is not the same as Plat Charge Metal 2018)

- Black Charge Metal 2020 (which is not the same as Centurion 2020)

One of these (probably the Black Charge Metal 2020) could well be your Optio.  No doubt at some stage they'll unembargo the news and release images of these two new cards.  

You heard it here first - enjoy!

Source: https://network.americanexpress.com/globalnetwork/dam/jcr:468d977a-eb34-44ea-b950-ffb675599292/Certified%20Vendors%20Report%20-%20March%202020.pdf

Interesting to see that there are actually two new cards and they happen to be strategically placed between Platinum and Centurion cards. Could the list on that page be sorted in order of "ascending prestige?" Honestly though not looking forward to Platinum being ousted toward the bottom of the prestigious card ladder if this is all true Smiley Sad

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.