Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express cli

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express cli

Im trying to decide when to apply for a cli.  I first received the clear everyday card, (it's been over 7 months ago), 4 months ago I got the blue everyday card.  I know you can only request an increase on one card every 6 months, my question is, do I have to wait 6 months from getting the second card or should I be able to safely request an increase on the clear card now since it's over 6 months?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express cli

Read the 3x CLI Guide.

Message 2 of 15
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Just remember: if you have multiple cards with Am Ex, you can only app for a cli on one at a time, six months after your last cli. I forgot about that, so I'm riding the pine for awhile!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can request a CLI on the Everyday card. You could have done so 5 months ago.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you can request a CLI on the Everyday card. You could have done so 5 months ago.

I did get one on the first card at activation.  The card would have been due for inc again last month.  I got the second card 3 months after my activation increase.  i did not ask for an inc on activation with the second card.  Do I need to wait 6 months from the newest card or would the inc go from the activation increase on the first card?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Viva-LV wrote:

Just remember: if you have multiple cards with Am Ex, you can only app for a cli on one at a time, six months after your last cli. I forgot about that, so I'm riding the pine for awhile!

In a nut shell, do they consider the credit limit with the new card as an increase? Or is it just another card that doesn't effect the timeline?

Message 6 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did get one on the first card at activation.  The card would have been due for inc again last month.  I got the second card 3 months after my activation increase.  i did not ask for an inc on activation with the second card.  Do I need to wait 6 months from the newest card or would the inc go from the activation increase on the first card?

All accounts count as one with Amex w/regards to CLI's.. So you can ask again on whatever card you deem you want it on.  Meaning if you get approved you must wait 6 months to request again on any Amex you have, if you get declined you must wait the shorter time period for all cards before requesting a CLI on any of them.

Message 7 of 15
its_mona
New Contributor

Question...I've recently been approved for the amex delta at $5k and the amex ed at $1k...when I go for thr 3x cli would it be better to do the delta since it has the highest limit?
scores as of 9/5/16| EX 676| EQ 622| TU 649

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does that CLI rule apply to other cards in your profile? Or only Amex -> Amex or Chase -> Chase ?

I ask because I just reveived a CLI on my Amazon rewards card that I have had for 6 mo(which i got 500->5500), and the next day I asked for CLI on my CapOne platinum card which I had for about 9 months, and it was denied. $500 CL, she said it had been too soon since my last CLI, which I am hoping was like 170 days ago on this same CapOne card. I didnt plan out my time to apply for a CLI. So now that it was been 181 days from my Last CapOne CLI, can I call for a Recon ? Since this was only about 1.5 weeks ago that I tried for the CLI and was denied ? 

OR

Because I already received a CLI on Amazon, I cannot get one for 181 days for my CapOne ? 

I hope that is not the case because I just got a Amex BCE and want to get that 3xCLI in like 55 more days.

Message 9 of 15
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@its_mona wrote:
Question...I've recently been approved for the amex delta at $5k and the amex ed at $1k...when I go for thr 3x cli would it be better to do the delta since it has the highest limit?

You can think about this in one of two ways. 

If you use the Delta quite a bit, then requesting 3xCLI on day 61 works for you. (One might say that then you could move some of line over to your ED, but your card has to have been established for some time, something like 13 months before that happens.)

But, if the ED is your daily driver, and you find that paying it off multiple times a month isn't your thing, then it might be reasonable to ask for the 3xCLI to give yourself some room.

It really depends on what you're looking to do with your profile (or whether you favor larger lines that may not be so useful versus convenience).

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.