Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU question

tag
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Amex AU question

Hi all.

I was recently added onto my wife's Amex which she has had since 2011 and currently has a CL of $15000. She has no balance on the card and we dont plan to use it.
I was wondering... With me being added as an AU will that help me when I apply for my own Amex card? Do you guys think I should use the AU card?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex AU question

@Bsong wrote:
Hi all.

I was recently added onto my wife's Amex which she has had since 2011 and currently has a CL of $15000. She has no balance on the card and we dont plan to use it.
I was wondering... With me being added as an AU will that help me when I apply for my own Amex card? Do you guys think I should use the AU card?

You don't have to use it but someone should be using it a little bit at least to make it look active for you on your credit since it's a new account for you.  I think it will help you a bit with Amex depending what your credit looks like.

Why does she not use it?

Has she asked for an increase in the last 6 months or applied and been approved for any other Amex Cards in the last 6 months?

If not I would go through the automated phone system and ask for a credit line increase on it to $25k.... it's a SP and it will probably grant it instantly if she hasn't been asking.... That will help you even more!

Message 2 of 18
lookitsma

Amex will start asking questions after 20k if I remember correctly?

As far as being an AU, I don't think it helps out that much. None of what she does on the card goes to your credit report which they'll be pulling if you apply for your own card. I've had my significant other put as a AU for my Platinum card and she barely got accepted for a Blue Sky Preferred with a lousy credit limit.
AMEX Platinum - AMEX SPG - USAA World MC - Chase Sapphire - Discover More - Citibank TY Preferred
Message 3 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@lookitsma wrote:
Amex will start asking questions after 20k if I remember correctly?

As far as being an AU, I don't think it helps out that much. None of what she does on the card goes to your credit report which they'll be pulling if you apply for your own card. I've had my significant other put as a AU for my Platinum card and she barely got accepted for a Blue Sky Preferred with a lousy credit limit.

It's 25K as CreditAddict points out.

Regarding AU's; it's reasonable to say they don't hurt and an Amex AU (ACM actually in Amexese) has a seperate account number and tradeline that Amex tracks.  Any positive history with Amex as an ACM is likely a good thing for the same reasons as an individual Amex tradeline is.  They almost assuredly can take it into consideration on their internal risk metric, and I strongly suspect that they would as there's no reason not to.

        
Message 4 of 18
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your responses. She's not using it because she uses her us bank more which offers flex points. As far as the cli on it, she just requested one yesterday online and got approved for $15 instantly. I think she could have asked for more and would have gotten it but I told her 15k is more than enough.

I'll use it once just so it pops up on my report. I guess I'll find out in 6 months if adding me as an AU helps with obtaining my own Amex.
Message 5 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes with Amex it's 3x current CL or up to $25k.
What are your scores?
Which Amex Card is it?
Message 6 of 18
lookitsma

Just did a CLI on my SPG. I guess my lack of activity on the card hasn't helped it out much. Still, Amex CLIs are soft pulls so as everyone else recommended, try doing it every 6 months or so. 

AMEX Platinum - AMEX SPG - USAA World MC - Chase Sapphire - Discover More - Citibank TY Preferred
Message 7 of 18
zerobacan
Established Contributor

as an AU in an amex, can you request for the CLI after the 61 days using the secured messages? or does the primary card holder's sole right?

How long will AMEX take to report you as an AU?

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 8 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You can not request cli and it's every 6 months after the first 61 day cli after account opening.
Should be reporting in under 2 months but mine was WAY faster.
Message 9 of 18
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
You can not request cli and it's every 6 months after the first 61 day cli after account opening.
Should be reporting in under 2 months but mine was WAY faster.

Sorry I forgot to mention she barely opened the account...

Thanks!

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.