Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Application Question

tag
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Amex Application Question

I've read applying for multiple Amex cards on a single day will result in only one inquiry, but is that also the case if one were to apply for the Costco TE in-store and then apply for other cards at home, still on the same day?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Application Question

I'm not 100% certain but the most logical answer would be to assume that one inquiry on the same day would be for online applications only.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 2 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I see where you're coming from, but once you've applied at the store, wouldn't the credit dept. see an inquiry from the same day when they are processing the online app?
Message 3 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
I see where you're coming from, but once you've applied at the store, wouldn't the credit dept. see an inquiry from the same day when they are processing the online app?

I would imagine it depends on to what extent the two systems are integrated.  If I had to guess, I'd say that when your information is entered at Costco, it goes right into the same automated system as when you input your info online.  In which case I would think that it would work the same, and a later application online would still use the same inquiry.  But this is speculation and I think the above poster's point is well taken.  If you can't afford the second inquiry, absent getting confirmation from someone who has actually tried this, I wouldn't apply for another card. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Multiple INQs are not too huge of a deal, if it must be done, it must be done. Was just wondering if they'd use the same one.

Here's another question...If Amex did pull two on the same day, would they be receptive of being asked to pull one hard INQ back?

I appreciate the feedback!
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't help you, but good luck with the app(s)! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Still debating on whether to apply now or not. Just gathering info so I can make the best move at the right time.
Message 7 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
Multiple INQs are not too huge of a deal, if it must be done, it must be done. Was just wondering if they'd use the same one.

Here's another question...If Amex did pull two on the same day, would they be receptive of being asked to pull one hard INQ back?

I appreciate the feedback!

Still just speculating, but doubt it. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, I would expect two inq. I think some people are happy when their two online applications only get 1 inq, but that doesn't always seem to be the case even both being done online. 

Which other card are you looking at applying for?

Message 9 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Maybe a charge card, Zync perhaps. I'd like to get my foot in the door with Amex and have heard that the Zync is probably the easiest to get, so if the Costco one doesn't get approved, have that to fall back on. I've been a Costco member for a few years and upgraded to executive this year, getting 2% back as it is, but to add the extra percentage from the TE card would be great. Costco won't accept my Discover card. : (
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.