Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI Data Point & Question

tag
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Amex CLI Data Point & Question

Hey All,

It had been over 18 months since my last Amex CLI and I needed a good SP pat on the back so I decided to pull the proverbial trigger. After constant 4506T requests(met by me signing out and starting over Smiley Very Happy ), I was finally able to get 4.5K out of them to up my CL to 35K. They requested the 4506T for every other amount I tried (60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 37.5). I have a few CL's in the range of 40-50 so I was really hoping for the best, but this was definitely algorithm at play. 

So herein lies the question: I was thinking about grabbing the AMEX Delta Gold w/ a mailer offer I received recently for 60k Bonus Points & a $50 credit for 1k spend. Has anyone had success with getting a reallocation increase after hitting their max CL on a certain card with AMEX? Also, with the annual fee waived the first year - would I have to eat an annual fee next year just to be eligible for reallocation? I believe eligiblity comes somewhere between 12-15 months after opening the card. 

Any insight is much appreciated! 

☮ & ❤
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex CLI Data Point & Question

It's not an algorithm perse it's their internal limit before wanting to see the IRS docs.  Back in the day the internal ceiling was 25K and now it's 35K.  Give them the docs and you'll easily get your 50K or whatever limit you desire unless your income doesn't support it.  Just set a reminder for Tax day and hit the button, fill it out online, and hit submit.  It's really painless and usually done in less than 5 business days.

13 Statements to reallocate.  So yes, you would pay the fee and it's not prorated anymore.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PrimeRate wrote:

Hey All,

It had been over 18 months since my last Amex CLI and I needed a good SP pat on the back so I decided to pull the proverbial trigger. After constant 4506T requests(met by me signing out and starting over Smiley Very Happy ), I was finally able to get 4.5K out of them to up my CL to 35K. They requested the 4506T for every other amount I tried (60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 37.5). I have a few CL's in the range of 40-50 so I was really hoping for the best, but this was definitely algorithm at play. 

So herein lies the question: I was thinking about grabbing the AMEX Delta Gold w/ a mailer offer I received recently for 60k Bonus Points & a $50 credit for 1k spend. Has anyone had success with getting a reallocation increase after hitting their max CL on a certain card with AMEX? Also, with the annual fee waived the first year - would I have to eat an annual fee next year just to be eligible for reallocation? I believe eligiblity comes somewhere between 12-15 months after opening the card. 

Any insight is much appreciated! 

I could be very wrong with this since I have never done it.  And Amex CSRs seem to give out a lot of misinformation.  When I called for an APR reduction since chat was not working, they offered me amex BCE 0 for 15 months then 13.24%, $150 after 1k spend, and the usual 5% off 4k in travel in 6 months thats floating around.  I was assured from two different people that if my exposure was an issue, or not, I could move as much limit from my ED as I wanted to.  It was opened last spring so more than 13 statements old.

So I don't see why you couldnt just apply on the phone using your reservation/POID and just say I'd like to move 5k from my old card to get this opened.

It doesn't matter how old the new card is AFAIK, its just the donor card has to be 13 statments old I believe, but again I could be totally wrong here.  If you can make use of the delta gold bonus by all means get it, but it sounds like its going to possibly be denied if you do it online and by calling in you can then move the limit. So why not just call in and apply and do both at once?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to stray off topic here, but I sort of chuckle at the phrase "if your income supports it" at this point.  I started a thread about this a few months back - Almost no ones income "supports" their CC limits around here.  You've got guys with $50k income with $100k, $200k+ limits.  Forget about maxing out all cards, but even someone bringing their aggregate utilization up to 40-50% would result in their income not being able to support paying back that debt. 

I feel like "if your income supports it" really means "if your income is still at least 1/5 what your total limits would be after receiving the CLI, you are probably ok to have it."

I find this whole topic amusing, personally.

Back to the topic of the OP, I don't believe $35k is some new set in stone number like $25k may have been at some point with Amex.  You still have people on this site reporting obtaining limits above $35k with no verification.  Most of these people whoever do this over time with small(er) increases.  Like for your next CLI request, maybe you can only get away with a $36-$37k request rather than more typical $5k+ bumps.  Who knows.  Oh, and of course your "income needs to support it" - that goes without saying Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.

It's my understanding the annual fee hits in month 13 and then you have 30 days to cancel to get a full refund. Is this not the case? I thought I'd be able to do this fee free. 

☮ & ❤
Message 5 of 6
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel like "if your income supports it" really means "if your income is still at least 1/5 what your total limits would be after receiving the CLI, you are probably ok to have it."

When you piece together a broken system in hopes of everyone believing it's anew, you're bound to relive the agony of what originally left you broken. Woman LOL

☮ & ❤
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.