Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI Question

tag
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Amex CLI Question

I've been looking at the Amex Cli topic on here. Trying to see if I could figure this out myself. But I can't. 

So my question is. If I was approved for my amex card 1-27-20 when will I be able to ask for a cli? My sl was 10,600.. I changed my payment date. So it pushed back when my next statement will cut. Which will be 3-2-20. 

I'm just unsure of when I can ask for a cli... Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex CLI Question

You can ask for a cl whenever you want. Some, like myself have gotten one 2 weeks after opening. Most recommend trying after 61 days but its not set in stone. This isnt Navy that you must have 3 statement cuts. If you are going for a 3x and the 30k limit i hope you plan on using the limit or it could become a candidate for cld. Good luck Mad1Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 17
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thank you AverageJoe

I only wanted to bring my limit to about 20,000 I wanted to put a purchase on this card. And take advantage of the 0%apr but I didn't want to go over 15% of my available credit. 

Message 3 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

You can ask for a cl whenever you want. Some, like myself have gotten one 2 weeks after opening. Most recommend trying after 61 days but its not set in stone. This isnt Navy that you must have 3 statement cuts. If you are going for a 3x and the 30k limit i hope you plan on using the limit or it could become a candidate for cld. Good luck Mad1Smiley Happy

You have to wait 60 days after your first card. If you get a second before asking for that CLI, you can ask for one immediately on that card. That being said, I asked for one on my Delta Platinum at 61 days and was denied for it being too soon. When I spoke to them on chat, I was told I had to wait 60 days on the new one. It may have been wrong information, or possibly, they're changing something internally.

Message 4 of 17
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

So 60 days after my approval.. Or 60 days after I activated the card?

Message 5 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would believe 60 days from approval. Just remember if you request and are denied, you have to wait 90 days to try again, not too bad a wait so...

Message 6 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Also is this your only Amex card?

Message 7 of 17
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Yes this is my only Amex card. I have some pre approvals.. But not for a card I want. So I'm going to wait.

Message 8 of 17
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Spot on there.  OP 61 days from 1/27/20 would be Saturday March 28 (yesterday) Smiley Happy.  So anywhere from that point on based on data points would be safe to ask, but there are valid points that waiting an extra day or two from that point can help.  

Message 9 of 17
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much. I will wait a lil longer.. Just to be on the  date side.. lol

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.