Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI every 6 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLI every 6 months?

After you are approved for cli how long until you can request again? I heard 6 months but just wanna make sure. I'm sitting  on 5 1/2 months since my last cli...thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI every 6 months?

It's 6 months. If you call, they should be able to give you the date for your next attempt.

Message 2 of 32
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

If you're early they deny it and say it's because you didn't wait long enough.  BUT that doesn't reset the clock or impose the 90 day rule.  Just wait until the right date and do it agan for an approval!!

Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, six months is the magical number. On my BCE, I requested the 3x CLI after 60 days and went from $2,000 to $6,000. Six months later, I requested another increase online and went to $10,000. My next request will come in February. I'm shooting for $20,000.
Message 4 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After you are approved for cli how long until you can request again? I heard 6 months but just wanna make sure. I'm sitting  on 5 1/2 months since my last cli...thanks for any input.

Yes it's 6 months.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

If you're early they deny it and say it's because you didn't wait long enough.  BUT that doesn't reset the clock or impose the 90 day rule.  Just wait until the right date and do it agan for an approval!!

Thanks for this. This is exactly the information I needed.  I was afraid I needed to wait 6 months and 1 day.  I just requested a 3x increase at exactly 6 months and was approved.  It's now my highest limit card. 

Message 6 of 32
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

NP, AMEX grows fast if they like your profile and can far exceed your other cards quite quickly.  

Message 7 of 32
Marcos8
Established Contributor

180 days since last approval. 6 months may or may not be 180 days. After each CLI I immediately go to a time/date calculator website and enter 182 days just to be safe and that has never failed me. I do that for every creditor every time and make a reminder in my phone for when to attempt the next one. 

Message 8 of 32
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Not to hijack this thread, but thought this seemed the appropriate place.

Another poster here on myfico earlier today said;

I opted to speak with a rep and she looked it up and said the reason was that I couldn't receive more than one credit increase in 6 months. She reviewed my account and saw that my last increase was in June. I did have an auto CLI on my HHonors card from 6 to 10k but she said that should not matter since the 6 months is per card (credit decision rep said opposite when I spoke to her later)

Can Pooka or anyone else shine the truth on which is correct when it comes to more than one card for CLIs?

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benzman wrote:

Not to hijack this thread, but thought this seemed the appropriate place.

Another poster here on myfico earlier today said;

I opted to speak with a rep and she looked it up and said the reason was that I couldn't receive more than one credit increase in 6 months. She reviewed my account and saw that my last increase was in June. I did have an auto CLI on my HHonors card from 6 to 10k but she said that should not matter since the 6 months is per card (credit decision rep said opposite when I spoke to her later)

Can Pooka or anyone else shine the truth on which is correct when it comes to more than one card for CLIs?

I'll give you the same reply that I did in the Amex 3X CLI Guide thread:

You dont need Pookah to answer this one.  Credit limit increases for Amex are per your entire account, no matter how many cards you have with them.  You can only recieve one user requested CLI every six months, and this is true whether you have one or 6 cards with Amex. If any Amex rep told you or anyone else otherwise they were mistaken which unfortunately often is the case.  Credit reps with Amex and other creditors are often unfamiliar with their own companies' guidleines and provide inaccurate information.

As a side note, auto CLIs from Amex do not count toward any 6 month rule.  The guidelines only apply to user initiated requests.

This question has arisen hundreds of times before and the 'rules' have not changed.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.