Did you mean: 

Amex CLI or not ?

tag
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

Re: Amex CLI or not ?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Is this $25k limit a per card basis?
I have $30,000 in Amex cred between two cards already, but wanted to get a 3xcli on my Delta to $16,500.

The "Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guidelines" (link posted above) states:

The following often (but not always) are potential reasons why Amex asks for 4506T for a CLI request. 

• New requested credit limit exceeds $25,000 for that particular account.
  • New requested credit limit would make overall credit extended across all Amex revolving accounts exceed $34,500 (post 123)
  • High internal risk score due to income on file to overall credit across amex and non-amex accounts ratio being too low.
  • Unusual/large/manufactured/risky spending patterns.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Message 11 of 23
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

@DigitalArk wrote:

Is better to talk to a rep or do it online for CLI request? My 61 day is right around the corner.

I don't believe it matters, whichever you prefer. My friend talked to a rep for her 61 day CLI, used the online system for the following 6 month CLI.

Message 12 of 23
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@OptimalFICO wrote:

@Slab wrote:

I charged less than $200 total over a 2 month period and AMEX upped me from 8k to 23k on the 61st day.

This is consistent with what has been shared about AMEX' 3X CLI policies, based upon which AMEX likely would have approved $24k. Did you request the $23k? You will be eligible to request another CLI in six months.

I requested 24k and they countered with 23k. Yeah, I will be hitting them up after 6 mos.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 13 of 23
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

@Slab wrote:

@OptimalFICO wrote:

@Slab wrote:

I charged less than $200 total over a 2 month period and AMEX upped me from 8k to 23k on the 61st day.

This is consistent with what has been shared about AMEX' 3X CLI policies, based upon which AMEX likely would have approved $24k. Did you request the $23k? You will be eligible to request another CLI in six months.

I requested 24k and they countered with 23k. Yeah, I will be hitting them up after 6 mos.

Interesting. Well $23k is still very decent, congrats!

My friend said that first she entered the CLI of $24k and hit the "continue" button... the system returned a summary... she said it listed her requested CLI to $24k and the next line (she couldn't remember/understand the difference between the two lines other than the amounts... wasn't sure if it was reflecting what would be approved) listed $18k. She said she went back and entered a CLI of $18k and hit the "continue" button again, this time it returned a summary with her requested CLI to $18k and the second line listed $12k. So she went back again and re-entered the $24k with the second line at $18k -- and finally hit the "submit" button. It returned the approved CLI to $18k. Did you experience anything like this or know what it's about? I'm wondering what would have happened if she had requested $30k? Would it have given her more than $18k?

Message 14 of 23
Crashem
Valued Contributor

The 2k to 6k to 18k in 181 days scenario is what makes AMEX a key card to building out your credit profile.  Basically no downside risk for being aggressive.  Get that AMEX early and have them help you get your credit line up.  I never understood people who get Chase cards early.  Chase can be generous with initial CLs, but their CLI policies are not good for people early in credit history (not that many auto CLIs, HP for user initiated CLI requests no matter what the outcome, etc.).  Get that AMEX to 18k and watch Chase match or beat it.  Why go for that Chase card when your highest card is 2k and Chase is likely to "beat it" with a 2.5 or 3.5k card.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 15 of 23
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

@Crashem wrote:

The 2k to 6k to 18k in 181 days scenario is what makes AMEX a key card to building out your credit profile.  Basically no downside risk for being aggressive.  Get that AMEX early and have them help you get your credit line up.  I never understood people who get Chase cards early.  Chase can be generous with initial CLs, but their CLI policies are not good for people early in credit history (not that many auto CLIs, HP for user initiated CLI requests no matter what the outcome, etc.).  Get that AMEX to 18k and watch Chase match or beat it.  Why go for that Chase card when your highest card is 2k and Chase is likely to "beat it" with a 2.5 or 3.5k card.

I agree. Plus AMEX' customer service is stellar and can't be beat IMHO and experience.

Message 16 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Thanks a lot  for all the info. I will request it online beginning next month (not sure anymore about the exact 181 days) and try for 25K and see what happens. Smiley Happy Looking forward to the result.

Message 17 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks@optimalfico...
I have read that Amex cli thread, but never noticed that $34,500 threshold.
Also, for the op-
I requested my first 3xcli over the phone, and I requested my second online. Both were instant, and both were approved "in fifteen" minutes :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 18 of 23
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

@lg8302ch wrote:

Thanks a lot  for all the info. I will request it online beginning next month (not sure anymore about the exact 181 days) and try for 25K and see what happens. Smiley Happy Looking forward to the result.

Good luck and best wishes!

Message 19 of 23
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.