Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold Offer - Trying to get this straight

tag
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Gold Offer - Trying to get this straight

@drboxing wrote:
When I got my Delta Gold I had to spend $1000, I was close and upon reading on this board, I read I was able to purchase miles using that card, I tried it and it worked with no problems, I reached my $1000 to spend and in a few days I saw the 50k miles in my SkyMiles account. 

I am overthinking all of this.  

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 11 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Purchasing miles will count for spend like any other purchase, but shouldn't trigger any credits since those are done by a 3rd party I believe.

Message 12 of 17
wingennis
Valued Contributor

I bought a gift card and promptly received the credit.  

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity, the gift cards have no expiration right? So if I bought one to meet the spend, I could use it much later. A trip I was planning isnt until winter. Though it does state in the terms, purchase of cash/cards do not qualify. 

P.S. I recently was on Delta's wesite, but didn't see a place where you can actually buy miles. Any ideas?

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you use a desktop or laptop (no phones or tablets; for some reason those divert to a 3rd party gift card service) and make a gift card purchase for $50 at delta.com it will code the same as any other Delta Air Lines purchase.  Officially, gift cards don't count.

Wish I had known this! 

Message 15 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Out of curiosity, the gift cards have no expiration right? So if I bought one to meet the spend, I could use it much later. A trip I was planning isnt until winter. Though it does state in the terms, purchase of cash/cards do not qualify. 

P.S. I recently was on Delta's wesite, but didn't see a place where you can actually buy miles. Any ideas?

"Delta Gift Cards never expire. No service or inactivity fees apply."  But unless you call to book a flight, you can only use 3 gift cards in one transaction.  Here is the link to buy SkyMiles

Buying them is almost certainly a losing proposition, though, unless you're going for an essentially discounted international premium cabin flight when combined with a signup bonus.  For economy, SkyMiles are typically worth about 1.5 cents each.  It costs 3.5 cents each to buy them, so buying the max of 60,000 per year would cost $2100.  Buying miles usually only makes sense if you are really close to the needed amount of SkyMiles for a rewards redemption, like if you had 58,000 miles it would probably make sense to pay $70 for 2,000 SkyMiles to get a roundtrip Main Cabin fare from New York to Paris.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. No i wasn't planning to buy a ton of them. But if it helped count towards spend, two birds one stone was my thoughts.

I signed up for 50K bonus w/$2K spend withing 3 months, as well as extra 10K w/$1K spend withing 6 months. And the $50 satement credit with a Delta purchase. So in case I came up short in mileag for my trip, i was hoping I could just buy a few extra and also meet the $50 credit. Because I won't be taking the trip within 3 months, so that's why the gift card. Otherwise I'd just make an inflight purchase. lol

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.