Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta cards worth it?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex Delta cards worth it?

Amex is having a higher than normal signup offer on their Delta cards. It is about to end. Did anyone jump on this? I'm trying to determine the value. 50k miles for 2k spends seems pretty good. I'm not sure how I would leverage these miles though. I live in NYC so I have access to most domestic and international airlines. I'm probably looking at trips to south america and europe at this point and i prefer to fly premium class. Any thoughts on if Delta miles would work for this? Maybe being able to use them to get a one way award? Just looking for feedback to see if it is worth it. I suppose I could also try to redeem on transcon flights enroute to asia if I ever needed a positioning flight. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Delta cards worth it?

I'm not an expert, but most travel enthusiasts seem to frown on Delta's program and you probably know they call the miles "skypesos". If you just want the bonus, that's one thing, but for a regular use card I think your other travel programs are probably better. A  lot of people just get the Delta to get "in with Amex" vs because it's actually a worthwhile program. That's just my impression on it though. It may suit your needs fine, but make sure you look into the redemption and such before you apply. You sound unsure as to if the points would even be useful for you.

Message 2 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm not an expert, but most travel enthusiasts seem to frown on Delta's program and you probably know they call the miles "skypesos". If you just want the bonus, that's one thing, but for a regular use card I think your other travel programs are probably better. A  lot of people just get the Delta to get "in with Amex" vs because it's actually a worthwhile program. That's just my impression on it though. It may suit your needs fine, but make sure you look into the redemption and such before you apply. You sound unsure as to if the points would even be useful for you.

Yes, the program has a bad rep and I am not talking about moving my business to Delta. This would really only be for the signup offer due to the higher than normal signup. Clearly because of my location I can pretty much use any airline miles, but I didn't know if these are worth the effort to begin with. They don't have an award chart to look at so you need to search specific flights on specific dates to get an idea and I'm not at that point yet, so I was hoping someone with experience with them could give me an idea if 50k is worth the effort or if there is a viable airline partner where they have a good redemption rate. 

;
Message 3 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

In the last few weeks, Delta has been getting better press!

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/06/17/delta-skymiles-sheds-skypeso-moniker/

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I jumped on the offer, as I stated on the other thread. I got the platinum card and for me it will also be the card I use to circumvent having to spend $15,000 in tickets to get diamond status with the airline. I guess it all depends on your flying patters, but for me, the "elite" airline game gives you some great perks. Grant it, it's not as grand as it was seven or eight years ago, but it's still nice.

I only got a $2,000 loc, but it should suffice.

Message 5 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I jumped on the offer, as I stated on the other thread. I got the platinum card and for me it will also be the card I use to circumvent having to spend $15,000 in tickets to get diamond status with the airline. I guess it all depends on your flying patters, but for me, the "elite" airline game gives you some great perks. Grant it, it's not as grand as it was seven or eight years ago, but it's still nice.

I only got a $2,000 loc, but it should suffice.

Yes obviously these cards have much more value for people going for Delta status etc. I don't fly enough to get status usually. Then again with credit cards etc you can get most of the perks for the lower tiers anyway. 

;
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea how many miles you need for premium class, as I always fly economy. But stating that, you can definitely find uses for the Delta miles. However, it sounds like you'll just be churning the card for the bonus and not using it after that?

I got the Delta card in April and my targeted offer was 60,000 miles after only 1k in spend. Can't beat that. But Delta is also the airline I fly the most, and given my limited credit history I wanted a card I could grow with. My credit limit has already gone from 1k to 3k. Living in NYC, you will definitely find a way to use the miles. But I can't really say whether or not it would be "worth it" for you, given what you said in your OP.

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes, the program has a bad rep and I am not talking about moving my business to Delta. This would really only be for the signup offer due to the higher than normal signup. Clearly because of my location I can pretty much use any airline miles, but I didn't know if these are worth the effort to begin with. They don't have an award chart to look at so you need to search specific flights on specific dates to get an idea and I'm not at that point yet, so I was hoping someone with experience with them could give me an idea if 50k is worth the effort or if there is a viable airline partner where they have a good redemption rate. 

While Delta does not have award charts any longer, they are more or less using the award charts. So you could Google the old award chart to get an idea.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you apply for the increase, or did they increase it on their own?
Message 9 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

I think I am going to pass. While I probably could use the miles to redeem for a transcon flight in J or something of that nature I don't like the way Delta does busines and I'm worried I wouldn't be able to redeem the trip when I need or they will jack up the mileage requirement. With other airlines it feels easier to gauge what the miles will be required. Since I won't be earning additional Delta miles the way I do with United or AA I'm just not feeling its worth the effort. A big part of my concern is that if a high offer on the plat or PRG business cards opens up I want to be able to move on that. I already have the business spg card and I don't know that I will be closing it anytime soon, so I don't really want delta cards cluttering up my amex accounts and maybe causing me an issue on approvals for the business charge cards down the line when I really need them. It just doesn't feel like the right move at the moment and usually when I feel that way it is for a reason. 

;
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.