Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold 4x MR on DoorDash???

tag
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Amex Gold 4x MR on DoorDash???

Does anyone have any experience with this? I just checked my statement and activity and DoorDash codes as "restaurant-restaurant" like Grubhub does. However, Grubhub shows as "4x" whereas DoorDash doesn't. I chatted with Amex and they mentioned that it has to do with how the business registered with them rather than the category it shows. But then why would their own system code it as "restaurant-restaurant"? Also had this with a grocery store I shop at that codes as "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" but doesn't get the 4x points. They said they will open a case and contact me within 5 days. Has anyone had success with this? My restaurant spending was about $1000 for the month but only about $350 if not including DoorDash. And even Amex's circle graph categorized it as a restaurant as well. Hmmm...

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Gold 4x MR on DoorDash???

It’s all dependent on the exact MCC the merchant has. Those categories are general but the MCC has to be a specific value in order to get the extra points.

Hopefully you get it this time but in the future it won’t automatically code for extra points as obviously the MCC isn’t the correct code

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 11
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
It’s all dependent on the exact MCC the merchant has. Those categories are general but the MCC has to be a specific value in order to get the extra points.

Hopefully you get it this time but in the future it won’t automatically code for extra points as obviously the MCC isn’t the correct code

So putting in a ticket will just give me credit this month but in the future it won't? Like they're not going to change their coding in response to this ticket? I've never gotten Amex to submit a ticket so I didn't know.

Message 3 of 11
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Creditdreamer wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

So putting in a ticket will just give me credit this month but in the future it won't? Like they're not going to change their coding in response to this ticket? I've never gotten Amex to submit a ticket so I didn't know.

It may not even give you credit this month. It really just depends on how the charges were processed.

Most likely it will not code correctly in the future. Either the merchant would need a different MCC or the card issuer would need to add another MCC to its rewards program. You would need to create a ticket every month and at some point they will most likely stop giving you the extra points if they even make a exception the first time.

Every merchant is given a very specfic Merchant Category Code (MCC) when they gain credit card processing abilities. Rewards programs are pre-programmed to look for certain codes in order to get extra points. They may list it as groceries but behind that groceries category there might be 5 different MCC's. Your card issuer may only consider 2 MCC's to be valid for extra points. This is how all Credit card companies work and not just amex.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 11
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Message 5 of 11
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

Just a quick update. I talked to the Amex Membership Rewards people. They asked me to make a list of the transactions that did not code as 4x points but were restaurants or grocery stores. Once a provide a list, their investigations department will research and then approve or deny the additional points. I asked if I will have to do that in the future every time. They said once each merchant is coded as approved, it will automatically award the 4x points. But with new purchases I will have to contact them again if they don't code properly for the same process. She said it is all about "updating their system" so they have the correct information.

Message 6 of 11
difringe
Established Contributor

@Creditdreamer wrote:

Just a quick update. I talked to the Amex Membership Rewards people. They asked me to make a list of the transactions that did not code as 4x points but were restaurants or grocery stores. Once a provide a list, their investigations department will research and then approve or deny the additional points. I asked if I will have to do that in the future every time. They said once each merchant is coded as approved, it will automatically award the 4x points. But with new purchases I will have to contact them again if they don't code properly for the same process. She said it is all about "updating their system" so they have the correct information.

So the way this sounds, is this going to fix it for every AMEX customer who uses DoorDash and all of the other grocery stores/restaurants that initially didn't code correctly? If they're updating their system with new codes for those places?

Message 7 of 11
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

That is what it sounded like to me. But it could be account specific. I didn’t clarify one way or the other.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update ~1 month later. 

This appears to still be an issue.  Amex has an investigation open for me as well.  Supposedly they are working towards "fixing" this.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Message 9 of 11
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an update ~1 month later. 

This appears to still be an issue.  Amex has an investigation open for me as well.  Supposedly they are working towards "fixing" this.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Funny you should comment on this now. This morning I was thinking about why I hadn't heard back from them and then the rep called me. I was on the phone with her when you posted this comment. Unfortunately, her response was that there had been an error and it hadn't been submitted properly (this was a new rep who sounded more seasoned) and she was going to resubmit and I should hear by 2/13. So we'll see.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.