Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwest Priority Card Upgrade Offer

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Southwest Priority Card Upgrade Offer

Today I received an Email offering an upgrade on my Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card to the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card. The upgrade offer was for 2,500 miles for making one purchase on the card by the end of March.

Since I travel relatively frequently on Southwest, I can use the benefits associated with the Priority card, including reimbursement for priority boarding, 7,500 points on each cardmember anniversary, $75 Southwest annual travel credit, 20% back on inflight purchases, Tier qualifying points, and 2 points/$1 spent on Southwest and its partners. The quid pro quo, of course, is a higher annual fee of $149.

I pulled the trigger and got the following response:

"We received your request and, as long as you continue to meet our credit criteria, it may take up to four business days for your upgrade request to be approved and new benefits to take effect. Your new card will arrive within 7 to 12 business days after the upgrade is approved.

You'll also receive a letter explaining the new annual fee and when it will apply, as well as your right to reject the change to your product and the associated annual fee."

Anyone else receive this offer?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Southwest Priority Card Upgrade Offer

I wish I did! I applied for the Priority directly. If I knew the potential to get upgrade offers I would have thought about getting the Premire. I don't travel super often, but wanted to get the bonus before it changed. Im in the same boat with the Marriott business card. I want the card, but looking at the landscape, I have to get it way sooner that I really wanted to. 

Message 2 of 3
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Southwest Priority Card Upgrade Offer

I had received a similar offer a few months ago, very similar terms. I actually declined it at that time but when doing the math, the Priority card is better then the standard Plus card. The $75 travel credit brings the $149 AF down to $74, the 7500 anniversary points can equal a free flight (just about, not including taxes and fees), and the 4 free upgraded boardings are nice when a flight is relatively full. In the end - I called Chase directly and had them upgrade me to the Priority card. I should have done it when I received the original email offer but didn't think of it then.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.