Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Card question

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Card question

@Anonymous wrote:

But that annual fee :/

Run the numbers and look at total cost/benefit.  Don't just look at the AF itself.

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, majority of the reason I'm getting this card is because of the status quo. 

Status quo isn't germane if you're getting the card.  You might want to read up on what it actually means.

It's ultimately your call if status/prestige alone justifies a card.  However, you really should consider if a card is actually useful to you IMO.  Prestige and status do not come from a card.  Further, if you think about it the charge cards are easier to qualify for (aside from the Centurion).

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, majority of the reason I'm getting this card is because of the status quo. I've always wanted a gold/plat card in my wallet since my dad had one. I used to take his expired ones and put them in my wallet as a kid

So for me, it's more about personal achievement more than anything. I just want that gold card. I already got accepted for it, and the PRG doesn't make sense for me as I don't spend enough reap the benefits of that card.

If you don't spend enough on the Premier Gold to "reap the rewards" then you probably won't be able to spend enough on the gold either.

The Gold card is not really a status quo ... it's a rewards card, I think two (or more) of my friends that has Gold also has Platinum card, they work well together I guess.

American Express Concierge is better than Visa's.

Why would you put a card in your wallet that's expired and unusable? Ummm I guess everyone desires something different.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, majority of the reason I'm getting this card is because of the status quo. I've always wanted a gold/plat card in my wallet since my dad had one. I used to take his expired ones and put them in my wallet as a kid

So for me, it's more about personal achievement more than anything. I just want that gold card. I already got accepted for it, and the PRG doesn't make sense for me as I don't spend enough reap the benefits of that card.

If you don't spend enough on the Premier Gold to "reap the rewards" then you probably won't be able to spend enough on the gold either.

The Gold card is not really a status quo ... it's a rewards card, I think two (or more) of my friends that has Gold also has Platinum card, they work well together I guess.

Why would you put a card in your wallet that's expired and unusable? Ummm I guess everyone desires something different.

The same reason someone would put those fake Pre-approval cards in their wallet. (Yes, I've seen someone do this before.)

Message 13 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I know you're saying you don't spend enough to justify the benefits of the PRG, but the gold card is 1x on everything, the SAME as the green card, but it's just more expensive. It literally offers no more Prestige than the green card, all it says is "I'm willing to spend more for the same product in a different color"

It's essentially like when a bank charges you more for certain check designs. Same concept. They're all the same, some just look different.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The same reason someone would put those fake Pre-approval cards in their wallet. (Yes, I've seen someone do this before.)

You mean those "fake cards" that American Express put in the mailed offers? OMG

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You mean those "fake cards" that American Express put in the mailed offers? OMG

YES!

Message 16 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, majority of the reason I'm getting this card is because of the status quo. I've always wanted a gold/plat card in my wallet since my dad had one. I used to take his expired ones and put them in my wallet as a kid. 

If you want the Gold for status/sense of accomplishment, get the Gold.  If the cost is the same for the first year as PRG, but you wouldn't have any use for the PRG benefits, I can understand.  You can always PC it to Senior Gold for a lower AF.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.