Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex -- Hard or Soft Pulls?

tag
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex -- Hard or Soft Pulls?

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Yeah all that talk around the campfire about 3X CLI is just that.  You can ask for triple your limit after 61 days and they'll likely give it to you.

Now you know for when you try again in 6 months. Smiley Wink

After having read through the link that was provided above I feel like a total nitwit.  Here I was all happy about a sad 3,000 increase and I may have gotten a 10,000 dollar increase!  Or at least a better counter-offer than what I asked for.  Ugh.  There's so much to read on this forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 11 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@WhiteCleats wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Yeah all that talk around the campfire about 3X CLI is just that.  You can ask for triple your limit after 61 days and they'll likely give it to you.

Now you know for when you try again in 6 months. Smiley Wink

After having read through the link that was provided above I feel like a total nitwit.  Here I was all happy about a sad 3,000 increase and I may have gotten a 10,000 dollar increase!  Or at least a better counter-offer than what I asked for.  Ugh.  There's so much to read on this forum...

Congrats on the CLI. That $3,000 means you got a $6,000 starting credit limit, which is rather high for a first AMEX revolver. Congrats for that also. As a first CLI, it would be somewhat unlikely to get 3x on a $6,000 starting limiit so soon after opening the card, so you did well.

If you want to jump right to the good stuff, then just list out all the cards you currently have, their limits and how long you have had them, and you will get lots of specific advice for what to look for to optimize the features. All lenders are different in how they handle their credit card portfolio. Use the hive mind here to draw on the knowlege of many.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

NRB525, actually my SCL was 5,000 and now it's 8,000. Is that rather high? I had been thinking it was fairly low to medium. But at least you've made me feel better that I probably wouldn't have gotten the 3x increase to 15 grand.

You mean list it all out in my signature and people will chime in unsolicited? That's awesome. I'm very appreciative of the help I've gotten so far so more is always welcome.

Oh, I won't make the same mistake twice when I'm ready for my Chase 6-month CLI - I'm going to read my ass off before I do anything. 😜
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 13 of 23
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

For what it's worth, my BCE hit 61 days today and I just tripled the limit from $4K to $12K.

I've seen $8K CLs get tripled to $24K.  Once the 180 days rolls around go for it.  They'll make a counter-offer if they think it's too much.

Here's the thread with all the details and data points...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/18110...

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WhiteCleats wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Austinguy.  So let me get this straight, becuase I'm not totally following you here -- you waited 61 days after opening the card to request a CLI? And then 181 days to apply for another card which was declined using a soft pull??Smiley SadSmiley Very Happy

Don't mean to make fun of you, ok? Last sentence just had me rolling. Being on here so much and understanding (well most of it anyway) the lingo, I totally got what Austinguy was trying to say telegram style. I can see how it would be a foreign language to a newbie here. This just made my day, WhiteCleats. Thanks for a good laugh. Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@WhiteCleats wrote:
NRB525, actually my SCL was 5,000 and now it's 8,000. Is that rather high? I had been thinking it was fairly low to medium. But at least you've made me feel better that I probably wouldn't have gotten the 3x increase to 15 grand.

You mean list it all out in my signature and people will chime in unsolicited? That's awesome. I'm very appreciative of the help I've gotten so far so more is always welcome.

Oh, I won't make the same mistake twice when I'm ready for my Chase 6-month CLI - I'm going to read my ass off before I do anything. 😜

No, you don't have to go through the siggy, just do a simple sequence of lines, each with brand name of the card, credit limit amount, and approximate age. 

AMEX seems to start most folks out with $1k - $2k limits then lets the cardholder show they can handle more. More established credit files can see higher starting limits. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

For what it's worth, my BCE hit 61 days today and I just tripled the limit from $4K to $12K.

I've seen $8K CLs get tripled to $24K.  Once the 180 days rolls around go for it.  They'll make a counter-offer if they think it's too much.

Oh sure, MrDisco, rub it in.  Smiley Wink  But that's a great bump you got -- congrats!

Since that thread also mentioned it was harder to get the 3X CLI beyond the first one, I'm really hoping I do get it at 6 months.  Fingers crossed.

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 17 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't mean to make fun of you, ok? Last sentence just had me rolling. Being on here so much and understanding (well most of it anyway) the lingo, I totally got what Austinguy was trying to say telegram style. I can see how it would be a foreign language to a newbie here. This just made my day, WhiteCleats. Thanks for a good laugh. Smiley Very Happy

Oh no, it's funny, I totally get it.  You have my permission to mock away.  He was writing in shorthand and I was struggling to get his meaning but now that I do I see that it was a stupid question.  

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 18 of 23
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

No, you don't have to go through the siggy, just do a simple sequence of lines, each with brand name of the card, credit limit amount, and approximate age. 

I'm sorry, do you mean I should do a simple post with just that information in it?  "Hey, look at my stuff, comment on it."  Doesn't that come off as weird around here?  

EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 19 of 23
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

@WhiteCleats wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I'm sorry, do you mean I should do a simple post with just that information in it?  "Hey, look at my stuff, comment on it."  Doesn't that come off as weird around here?  

You could list out your cards, age and credit limits and ask if anyone has advice on CLI's.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.