Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat vs PRG?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Plat vs PRG?

Ive always wondered, and im sure there a few out there who do, if there are individuals who wouldnt care about AF and have the card(s) just to have. I mean many people , myself included, often buy certain things without caring of the costs. They just buy move on and not worry. I could see this happening for some if they just want to have a Plat.

For me and my income , $500 is alot ( im sure for many as well ) . But if i were making alot of money, that might not be the case. Sure i know rewards, etc. But i just wonder how many in joe q public would do it. Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
Ive always wondered, and im sure there a few out there who do, if there are individuals who wouldnt care about AF and have the card(s) just to have. I mean many people , myself included, often buy certain things without caring of the costs. They just buy move on and not worry. I could see this happening for some if they just want to have a Plat.

For me and my income , $500 is alot ( im sure for many as well ) . But if i were making alot of money, that might not be the case. Sure i know rewards, etc. But i just wonder how many in joe q public would do it. Smiley Wink

Probably a lot.  After all, if most consumers really made a point to use the benefits, it likely wouldn't be very profitable for AMEX.  

Message 12 of 29
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

OP

With your 660 EX score you are almost there. Once you EX passes to around 675 to 680, you are good to go to app for Platinum I believe.

Message 13 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

wrote:

Probably a lot.  After all, if most consumers really made a point to use the benefits, it likely wouldn't be very profitable for AMEX.  

Some just use some of the perks that they want to use. For instance some people don't find value in the incidentals and Uber which some would argue "offset" the AF but if they don't use it why bother. But they may find the hotel status matches and lounge access in much higher value than others and use those for maximum usage. All up to the holder to see what perks work for them and seeing if the AF works out.

Message 14 of 29
shoegal
Valued Contributor

I got the PRG from an Amex preapproval on the "offers" section when my score was around 665 EX. A month later they sent me a mailer (75k MR points for $5k spend) for the Amex Plat, and I was approved with a 657 EX score. All my Amex approvals after the first card Amex ED have been a soft pull.

Getting the Amex ED was not easy I wasted 3 hard pulls to get it because I hadn't found this forum, yet. I tried with UTIL at 33% and 665 score, and they denied me. I lowered my UTIL to 8% and my score when up to 671, and they denied for the same reasons since I applied again without waiting until everything reported correctly. The third time they gave me the card without a bonus, the $1k SL and their version of the credit steps. I wish I had found this forum before taking that offer and applying but live and learn.

The PRG I was using for the 2X at restaurants, but then Discover had that same month the 5% at restaurants, and this card got SD. Honestly, I don't use it that much. It has a POT of 30K with 19% APR, but I don't use that either so I might cancel it. I got it because I didn't think I could get a Plat until my scores where around 700.

My advice go for the card you want! I use my Amex Plat for everything and especially for travel and take advantage of the Uber credit and all the benefits the card provides which is why I don't mind the annual fee.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I'm in that income boat too.   Unless i had a 0% bt offer when i could get the card, i'd most likely not hit the spend bonus.  The AF is crazy high, and i dont know that the perks would really offset the cost for me at all, but at the same time i have paid way more for things i really wanted and didnt have any buyers remorse because i really wanted it. 

What's to say i got it, had the BT offer so i could hit the spend, and maybe used the travel credit that year since i knew i had it to use..   i dont uber, but maybe try ubereats?  Its one of those things that i dont know that i would gain as much from having it, but whats to say that i might start once i had those options? 

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

OP

With your 660 EX score you are almost there. Once you EX passes to around 675 to 680, you are good to go to app for Platinum I believe.

Thanks Ric, i'll probably wait til Jan next year, so that my AAoA gets back over 48 months and if lucky Navy has another 0% BT offer like this year and i can do the spend and BT is to my Amex..   is that CC canibalism?  weird...     

Simulator, and i know its just a guideline not a guarantee says in 12 months i'll be close to 690-700 on all 3, so i would like to see that happen first. 

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I got the PRG from an Amex preapproval on the "offers" section when my score was around 665 EX. A month later they sent me a mailer (75k MR points for $5k spend) for the Amex Plat, and I was approved with a 657 EX score. All my Amex approvals after the first card Amex ED have been a soft pull.

Getting the Amex ED was not easy I wasted 3 hard pulls to get it because I hadn't found this forum, yet. I tried with UTIL at 33% and 665 score, and they denied me. I lowered my UTIL to 8% and my score when up to 671, and they denied for the same reasons since I applied again without waiting until everything reported correctly. The third time they gave me the card without a bonus, the $1k SL and their version of the credit steps. I wish I had found this forum before taking that offer and applying but live and learn.

The PRG I was using for the 2X at restaurants, but then Discover had that same month the 5% at restaurants, and this card got SD. Honestly, I don't use it that much. It has a POT of 30K with 19% APR, but I don't use that either so I might cancel it. I got it because I didn't think I could get a Plat until my scores where around 700.

My advice go for the card you want! I use my Amex Plat for everything and especially for travel and take advantage of the Uber credit and all the benefits the card provides which is why I don't mind the annual fee.

That is what i'm shooting for.. i have 0 interest in the delta gold, but got the preapproval and i have burned it up and PIF every month like a charge card.  I got the SPG for events, but none of them are near me to be useful.   So i have a feeling i'll end up downing the gold to blue and unless they let me PC the SPG to an ED (if/when they lose SPG) then its on the chopping block as well. 

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

That is what i'm shooting for.. i have 0 interest in the delta gold, but got the preapproval and i have burned it up and PIF every month like a charge card.  I got the SPG for events, but none of them are near me to be useful.   So i have a feeling i'll end up downing the gold to blue and unless they let me PC the SPG to an ED (if/when they lose SPG) then its on the chopping block as well. 

?? You don't have a single Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel near you? 

You don't fly with one of their 30+ airline partners? You don't use Amtrak? 

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

?? You don't have a single Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel near you? 

You don't fly with one of their 30+ airline partners? You don't use Amtrak? 

I have a marriot across the street, but if i'm going to staycation, i'll do it at home Smiley LOL

I used to fly twice a year, but in the last 10 years i've been on a plane once.  Now once i have a travel credit to use, i might fly more.  I am not sure of the conversion rate yet, but i could always convert my MR's into delta and add into my 36-37k something i have there as well. 

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.