Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Purchase Protection Question

tag
acb5456
Regular Contributor

Amex Purchase Protection Question

Hi everyone,

I applied for an Amex Gold about 1 and a half months ago, approved, and have been using it religiously since (have been a member with Amex since 2013, so I have a good history with them which I'm hoping will be relevant with my current situtation). I purchased 2 MontBlanc writing pens a few weeks ago and, while studying 2 days ago, stupidly left my pen case in the library or the business school building. I retraced my steps and asked the staff at both buildings if they had been turned in, but niether have, so I filed a missing item report with the campus police.

My question is this: I do not own a home and I do not carry renter's insurance for the apartment I am currently residing (which I need to, I know) and I have read that Amex requires you to prove that you have insurance to file a claim in order to make sure you're not 'double-dipping' and collecting from both. Am I okay to file a claim even though I don't have insurance? The writing pens were right at $750 collectively, so I would love to not be out of that money, but my Gold card account is fairly new. I'm probably overthinking this, but I want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark when I submit a claim.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading and giving your advice!

Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $15,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $15,000 | Discover IT: $15,000

FICO: TU-793 (Discover), EX-805 (Amex), EQ-790
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Purchase Protection Question

When I lost my Apple Watch back in March all I did was check that I don’t have homeowners or renters insurance. Took about a month but I got a full refund as a credit to my account. All I had to provide was a police report and proof of purchase.

Message 2 of 4
acb5456
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply! That's what I'll do then!

Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $15,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $15,000 | Discover IT: $15,000

FICO: TU-793 (Discover), EX-805 (Amex), EQ-790
Message 3 of 4
icyhot
Valued Contributor

They don't require you to have it, just indicate on the claim form that you don't. When I lost my moms birthday present in Barnes and Noble all they wanted was the receipt and claim form
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.